Raspberry Pi operating system looks like OS X

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/18/raspberry-pi-operating-system.html

4 Likes

I just want an OS where youtube doesn’t break all the time (I’ve relegated my Pi to ‘video jukebox’, but it’s not very good at it). anyone tried the Ubuntu release for Pi?

4 Likes

It’s not so much a different OS you need, as wel as an alternate reality :smiley:.

(Or a better behaved google)

1 Like

That looks really great. I might have to look into this for a standalone OS9 box.

I did notice that it took exactly the same amount of time to get to a usable desktop for the OS9 and Win98 emulators even though it stated the former took longer

1 Like

A Roku or some kind of Android device is probably always going to be better than Youtube in a browser

Yes I’m being pedantic, but it is not pronounced “mac oh ess exx” it is “mac oh ess 10” and in fact Apple no longer uses the “X” or “ten” anywhere, and it’s just “mac oh ess” followed by a name “Catalina” or a version number.

Rant over.

2 Likes

How long before the take-down notice arrives from Apple? That doesn’t just look like macOS, it looks like they’ve directly lifted images which will come lovingly-wrapped in Apple’s copyright.

1 Like

An OS9 box was the first thing that struck me too. Spaceward Ho!

Unity on Ubuntu was basically a clone of the MacOS shell and it didn’t have any trouble from that direction.

1 Like

Could be worse, I had a coworker who pronounced is “mac oss ecks”.

3 Likes

I’m really tired of all the rpi articles. Can someone please do a bananapi article? I bought an rpi zero w to then find they have a hw I2C bug that can’t be fixed. Meanwhile, the bananapi zero has an extra core, DDR3 instead of DDR2, and doesn’t have the I2C bug.

If someone wrote a bananapi article, you can be sure we’d do more than just look at it.

Joking aside, I would look at it.

8 Likes

It doesn’t seem as if you’re being pedantic, it seems as if you are someone who realizes that things have names and words have meanings.

If this dude sits down to do a video about something and can’t even be bothered to get such a basic, minor fact correct, why should we believe he’ll be worth listening to on the big stuff?

Pedantic or not, the second time he said “Oh Ess Ecks” I closed the video. Respect (and attention) have to be earned.

If I decided to make a video about sweet old cars and started gushing about a Pontiac LeMans while pronouncing it like Leemans or, even better, Lemons, who would take me seriously?

2 Likes

I have never heard anybody call it Mac OS 10. Not once in the 20 years or something its been around. It says X on the box and at the top of the page. The software has been at version 10 for so long they may as well call it the product name.

5 Likes

Perhaps so, but an error is an error whether it’s made by 1 person or 1 million.

If one person pronounces it wrong, it’s a tragedy. If a million do it, it’s a statistic.

7 Likes

Perfectly true, and while I know that the ‘X’ is just the Roman numeral for ‘10’, I still refer to it as OS ‘ex’.
I’ve been using Macs since 1995, and I’m just not that anal about how the ‘ware is referred to.

3 Likes

Seems like something that brilliant designers would have foreseen before naming their operating system so ambiguously. Or maybe they just didn’t care what people called it.

1 Like

Actually, it’s pronounced “Throatwobbler Mangrove”.

7 Likes

I’m glad to see cheap computing anyone can use.