Ravens stealing food from Anchorage Costco shoppers

Originally published at: Ravens stealing food from Anchorage Costco shoppers | Boing Boing

9 Likes

i’ve seen the size of the containers and such that Costco sells – people can afford to lose a thing or three at that scale.

12 Likes

The Skua gulls down in Antarctica will snatch food from your hands as you walk between buildings. They especially seem to like blondes with French fries.
They ransacked a bag full of crab leg shells before the kitchen worker could get it into the dumpster. They will walk into the loading dock for the galley, checking out what’s cooking. They will also snatch penguin eggs or chicks.

10 Likes

“You know you are in the largest State in the Union, when you’re anchored down in Anchorage getting your shopping nicked by ravens.”

14 Likes

Stark Raven Mad!

20 Likes

Almost as if they’re…ravenous.

13 Likes

Ravens are high class, not like those seagulls eating out of the garbage.

17 Likes

We’ve seen ravens and crows using a large water fountain outside our usual Starbucks to drop their pickings into prior to eating. Japan’s macaque monkeys do the same thing!

6 Likes

I once saw one fly by with a baloney sandwich.

2 Likes

Those little so-and-sos!

One thing ravens are not is ‘little’ - they’re basically the velociraptors from ‘Jurassic Lark’ in a goth feather boa.

Love them to bits.

16 Likes

Our land rover was savaged by an Icelandic skua which wasn’t happy until had taken part of the antenna.

But they’re positively cuddly compared to Arctic Terns when protecting their nests - devastatingly beautiful birds with aggression, speed and maneuvereability, to make any fighter pilot hang up his jet.

4 Likes

Edgar would be proud of them

3 Likes

What is the caws of this crime wave? This far, but no feather!!

10 Likes

The common raven has an omnivorous diet their diet varies with season. Ravens living in the Arctic Tundra (Alaska) tend to feed more on microtine rodents as well as ptarmigan and caribou carcasses.

Sled-dog dung

gross vomit GIF

3 Likes

This is why even at 11,000 feet up a mountain on a glacier you still bury your food cache. If you don’t the ravens will steal your food. Not even the bears do that.

8 Likes

We were warned at mealtimes at Club Med (Martinique) not to abandon your table at the buffet. Someone must always remain back to wave off the seabirds, who were only too ready to stand right on your table and eat.

At the Thrasher’s Fries stand in Ocean City MD, the gulls will wait patiently to share, but sometimes you will have to stomp your feet to indicate that you’re not quite ready to give on the giant bucket you ordered.

At a course near Delray Beach FL, the crows have learned that golfers keep snacks in their carts. When you park under one particular palm tree and step away to hit you next shot, they swarm your cart and go right into the compartments for your crackers, cookies, candy, whatever. You can look up into the tree and almost hear them saying #SorryNotSorry

8 Likes

I love them, too. Like all corvids, they’re very smart.

8 Likes

Much more likely that it’s just Bran warging up a dinner for his peeps.

5 Likes

Send for the Ravenmaster.

3 Likes

I love Australian magpies and feed them so they don’t swoop me but this little bastard not so much… it was on the ground and flew up twice to attack the victim, the second time was because the target didn’t drop his lunch - went straight for the eyes - Yikes!

2 Likes