Re-introduced 'Hai Karate' smells almost as good as never

I still have a bottle of “Andron for Men, by Jovan”… 1/5 full. Long discontinued. Absolutely incredible smell. I’m nursing what’s left very carefully.

3 Likes

Many years ago we used to have this tech who reeked of perfume. The joke was that she must have marinated herself in the stuff overnight, it was that strong. No one brought it up to her though; she was a very nice person and we’d always hoped that one of her lady friends would speak to her and in some diplomatic way. I was young and just didn’t know how to approach her.

4 Likes

Knize Ten.

… or Semprini.

1 Like

Good over ice, I bet.

I dislike any and all lingering scents. The shampoo I liked changed formula and started smelling like month-old broccoli. A lot of shampoos I tried as a replacement smelled OK, but leave a scent in your hair – and some even advertise the fact. Why would anyone want that? I want my hair clean, not stinky.

1 Like

You must have a very sensitive sense of smell!

Some years back at our company rec center, some women complained of the “boy’s gym” smell that emanated from the men’s locker room. Chatting with one gal I knew there, I asked her about the situation. To the best of my recollection, this is what she said to me: “Mmm. I love the smell of men!”

I was like, “Okay”.

2 Likes

The ad makes it look more like the Benny Hill of aftershaves.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s a sticky situation. My go-to in an office environment is when you’re thinking about something like that, just keep thinking it and keep quiet.
My wife told me there’s someone in her group that regularly smells like BO and/or chicken soup. Very strong. She put a defuser on her desk and just complains to me…

4 Likes

It sounds like you and your wife are in a no-win situation.

PS: If it’s chicken soup, the office gal should throw in carrots, onions, and celery (and perhaps an herbal bouquet garni) while cooking it; that ‘kills’ the gaminess.

2 Likes

I used to wear that. My wife loved it. I credit my 32-year-marriage to the lingering effects.

1 Like

I have a small collection of interesting scents from BPAL and Demeter but rarely wear them. I’ve never known a man who’s successfully worn scents without it being overwhelming; I have friends known for perpetually smelling of Old Spice or Axe, sadly.

1 Like

:laughing:

You might be doing yourself a disservice. The stuff had only trace amounts of pheromones.

3 Likes

Boing Boing, as always, right on the cutting edge of three years ago.

2 Likes

Perfume is bad enough. But I can smell mold even thinking about growing nearby.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

I have always used a good bay rum after shaving. For the past several years, I’ve liked “Cat 'O Nine Tails” by Captain’s Choice. However (and I know mixing scents isn’t always a good idea) I combine it about 5/1 with “1908” from J. Peterman. The Peterman scent is very classic and old-world, but it’s WAY too strong on its own. Having it as an accent with the bay rum tones it down, and lingers for the day after the bay scent has dissipated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0J4RS2/

3 Likes

You’ll gain the seductive powers of Bill Cosby.

3 Likes

3 Likes

just a hint. Don’t google image search that with safe search off. Especially at work…

I took a sniff of some vintage Hai-Karate in the classy plastic bottle in the early 90’s. It smelled like chemical waste. I think it must have leeched PVC from the bottle over the years.

Also, I despise patchouli and anyone who wears it. Seriously dude, you people smell like you slathered your sweaty armpits with a handful of fried eggs. DIAF.

2 Likes