Re-introduced 'Hai Karate' smells almost as good as never

It should be subliminal; if there’s enough for someone at conversational distance to be able to confidently determine that you’re wearing an artificial scent, it’s too much.

2 Likes

A hint of scent is fine, but I cannot stand it when men (or women) practically bathe in their choice of cologne or perfume. A man came into my workplace the other day who had on so much whatever-it-was that I could barely breathe. I’m not kidding. I’m not allergic (as far as I know) but I wound up coughing and trying to hold my breath as much as possible until he left.

What do I like to wear? A lot of my favorite scents have been discontinued, but I tend to like lighter, floral scents. Cherry Vanilla was a favorite, so was Love’s Gentle Rain, and Love’s had a lemony cologne I enjoyed too. Now, if I wear any at all, I tend to switch between the blue Curve (it’s kind of like Blue Water but more floral) and Coty Wild Musk (with vanilla and floral notes, it’s almost like soap.)

1 Like

The actress in the commercial was in some of the Carry On movies which were in the same mode as Benny Hill.

1 Like

My dad likes to use 4711 cologne, which he claimed was a favorite of George Washington; I picked up a bottle recently, and it’s very citrusy and floral and light, a nice splash-on in the summertime. But the scent still reminds me of the 70s.

2 Likes

When I was one of several shift supervisors for a bunch of college students, we’d joke “Hey, I went to the store and I bought too much soap and deodorant by accident. I don’t have any room for it in my house. Why don’t you take it?”

Usually we could get away with sending out a reminder about the conduct policy’s section on regular bathing and not wearing strong perfume/cologne to all of them and the stanky one would get the hint.

I recently jokingly said this (Gee, your hair smells terrific!) to a female co-worker who I’ve worked closely with for over a decade, and she looked at me like I was a genuine creeper. Then it hit me that she’s twenty years younger than me, and I weakly said “you’ve never seen that commercial, have you?” She had not. Thank God for YouTube!!

4 Likes

¡Hai, caramba!

Beedle Balm

Hey. Try this: Back at uni I was walking a street route I had never taken before. I got to a corner, smelled blood (‘copper’ sort of scent, like a rusty penny), then as I got around the corner, just there was a blood bank! Weird.

3 Likes

The popular scent from my teenaged years was Polo. I don’t think I’d smelled it in 30 years, but a couple years ago, I stopped by a Ralph Lauren Polo store in an outlet mall in SW Virginia, and someone had apparently dropped a bottle of the cologne and it broke. I turned right around and walked out of the store. A year later, the outlet mall was shuttered, and all the stores closed. I think I know why.

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hmm. Must have been a Vulcan blood bank. Human blood smells like iron.

Seriously, that is very strange. I wonder why it smelled at all. Poor laboratory practice? Or maybe they pay the donors in pennies?

1 Like

Or use it instead of bathing. Eeesh.

2 Likes

I was thinking then in terms of poorly bagged medical waste, but there was nothing on the sidewalk awaiting pick up, so…

1 Like

go old school

Old Spice aftershave - smells just like dad
Clubman Lotion (aftershave) - smells like men
Hai Karate - smells like desperate men
Aqua Velva - no, just no. Smells like Pete Rose betting scandal
English Leather - smells like bargain present for someone’s grandpa that should have been re-gifted
Brut - i always associated with Burt Reynolds, for no particular reason - still decent enough

After I shave, i slap a little clubman on, - - lately, i put the remnants on my hands on my 10yr old son. he giggles and says “not old enough to shave yet”

a few days ago, after school, he said “THE girl said I smell nice”

little bits, not bathing in it people. little bits…

We know a guy who smells faintly like patchouli. He’s worn that scent for 25 years, and people who hug him regularly remark how good he smells. Half of them also comment that they’ve never liked patchouli before.
It’s that faint whiff; as you said, so rare in men and not that common in women, either; working in office settings with many women can be hell for someone with a sensitive nose, in the hell between the all-day reapplication of perfumes and colognes and the odor of burnt microwave popcorn.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.