Read the full text of the Mueller report here, as redacted by Barr

It’s images of text with no actual text included, which is why the file is so huge. Some of the pages are crooked, and there are some dirt spots. It really looks like the redacted report was printed onto paper, then scanned back into a computer to make the PDF. Probably to make double-plus-sure that no shenanigans happen to peek behind the redactions.

The “searchable” versions use some kind of OCR assistance (when I copy/paste text out of my copy, I can find some OCR-style typos).

My favorite bit is how some of the section headings themselves are redacted. Does one have to go to a special school to learn how to look that shady? Yikes.

14 Likes

hahah i’m only on page 154 and so far I can imagine her brain reacting to all I have read so far like this

4 Likes

I OCR’d the PDF and didn’t see anything more than what is visible.

Don’t tell the Democrats, but Harm to Ongoing Matter.

3 Likes

Isn’t every “Harm to Ongoing Matter” redaction damning all by itself?

Presumably, they all point to things that are “not good” for each of those many other investigations. If they helped the targets of those, there wouldn’t be any reason to redact them as causing harm.

IE: This report doesn’t say you stole candy from a baby, it’s been redacted because there’s an ongoing investigation into you stealing candy from a baby. If the report said you never steal candy from a baby, it wouldn’t need to be redacted…

13 Likes

Sealed indictments, ongoing state AG investigations, the other 199 charges brought against co-conspirators.

That said, I think Mueller’s job here is effectively done, plus he’s not the one holding anything back.

7 Likes

It seems like, if he’s going to be given a pass, it’s only because many of his obstruction attempts were blocked by those around him. Is “attempted obstruction” a thing?*
(*Edit: Yeah, apparently it is. According to John Dean, former WH counsel, it’s an “endeavor” statute - trying to obstruct justice is a crime. And he sure as hell did it.)

And it seems pretty clear, from an intelligence point of view, that Trump and his campaign absolutely colluded with agents of the Russian government, but that’s not the same as a criminal conspiracy, which is what Mueller was looking at.

It seems increasingly clear that Mueller, unable to prosecute a president, always intended this report for congress, who should be able to get an unredacted version (at least, if the law still mattered, which it doesn’t).

16 Likes

barr’s summary - no intent to obstruct:
trump - I didn’t know that was the speed limit, so I wasn’t breaking the law.
barr - I’ll buy that, you’re free to go

8 Likes

But why would you hold anything back? This is THE report.

2 Likes

I have to admit, I am so sick and tired of this continuing shit show that I don’t really care what the report says because:

1. it won’t change my mind that Trump is a supremely incompetent jackass who shouldn’t have ever been elected in the first place; and

2. Whatever the Mueller report does say, it won’t change anything, and we’ll still have to put up with him for at least two more years, only more so because he’s running to be re-elected.

And I am ashamed to admit that in my mind, the best case scenario is that Trump simply keels over from a massive coronary.

Or I do.

11 Likes
10 Likes

No conspiracy - ok.

But COLLUSION ALL OVER THE PLACE.

8 Likes

Ok, I was a bit off because of Meuller can’t stick him with something he can’t understand

I mean isn’t it a bit overdramatic. There’s no way someone that dumb can be put in such an important positi…

Nevermind, the investigation is right on the money with that one.

11 Likes

You should not be ashamed, as that is not all that bad. I was thinking best case scenario was more along the lines of David Carradine.

I’m just wondering if the DOJ will release progressively less-redacted versions as “ongoing matters” are resolved.

Not going to hold my breath on that one, though.

6 Likes

Juicy:

“Mueller referred evidence of potential criminal activity to other law enforcement authorities in 14 cases. We’ve only known about two of those, Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen, whose prosecution was referred to the U.S. Attorney in Manhattan, and Greg Craig, a former Obama White House lawyer, who faces an August trial on charges he concealed work he did for a pro-Russian Ukrainian government. The other 12 cases referred by Mueller are blacked out in the report.”

via Bloomberg

11 Likes

Page 38 of volume 2- “Chris Christie: the accidental voice of reason.”

According to Christie, at one point during the lunch the President said “Now that we fired Flynn, the Russia thing is over.” Christie laughed and responded “No way.” He said “this Russia thing is far from over” and “we’ll be here on Valentines Day 2018 talking about this.” The President said, “what do you mean? Flynn met with the Russians. That was the problem. I fired Flynn. It’s over.” Christie recalled responding that based on his experience both as a prosecutor and as someone who had been investigated, firing Flynn will not end the investigation. Christie said there was no way to make an investigation shorter, but a lot of ways to make it longer.The President asked Christie what he meant, and Christie told the President not to talk about the investigation even if he was frustrated at times.

18 Likes

So here is a serious question:

What is the likelihood of prosecution after he is no longer president?

I am still going to file it under “very low”.

1 Like

The struggle is at least partly about power.

So after Trump is out of office it will no longer face the same amount of political pressure.

2 Likes

first, the Office did not obtain admissible
evidence likely to meet the government’s burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these
individuals acted “willfully,” i.e., with general knowledge of the illegality of their conduct;

The Concord (IRA) conspiracy prosecution hinges on the defendants having “general knowledge of the illegality of their conduct”. It seems Mueller has a lower bar for Trumpies.

1 Like

Interesting how many of the redactions can’t hold up in this age of information. Parts of the report were already available from other sources so people could figure out what those particular redactions were talking about.

Some other parts people figured out because they redacted the name from an alphabetized list, so there was really only one or maybe two people it could be referencing.

Probably Mulvaney, assuming ASCII sorting order.

10 Likes