Real cowboy lassoes bike thief at Wal-Mart

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Carla got in a couple a days ahead of ya pardner.

4 Likes

I have to say it would be awesome if this happened once a week (someone lassoing a bike thief - not duplicated posts)

3 Likes

I worked a Country Western bar back many decades ago, a regular there could lasso a beer bottle/can from 30+ feet out’a anyone’s hand. Gosh that was great fun.

7 Likes

Wanna know why that man was holding on to the tree?
Because some vigilante yahoo thought it was ok to drag a human being behind a horse

Sorry, but given Oregon’s history of racism going back to it’s formation as a state that forbade black people from working, living, or owning property and with Portland being the most racist city in the U.S., I think it’s a bit tone deaf and questionable to decide to drag a black man behind your horse.

2 Likes

Not sure what he meant, but you don’t drag a cow behind a horse either. Neither articles linked mentioned him being dragged.

According to an eye witness:
"When the thief dismounted and tried to flee on foot, Stepp watched as
the cowboy lassoed him by the ankle. The thief then grabbed a tree and
held on to it until the police arrived. "

3 Likes

Take a look at the photo. See that taught line and the man holding on to the tree? That is a roping trained horse who will keep hard tension on the line until made to stop.
I’ll take him at his word when he says "I just rode off like I would if I’d roped a cow"
But honestly, this conjures up ghosts of the past when runaway slaves were actually chased down by men on horseback and roped just like this and it saddens me to see how many people are cheering this without reflection.

OK - let’s just stop right there. Come on.

First off, if the guy drug him around callously, I would agree that he shouldn’t do that and it is assault. As you point out, there is tension, but tension isn’t dragging. I am not a rodeo expert, but I have been to some and have never seen them drag anything behind the horse. They don’t want to hurt the cow/sheep/ whatever they are roping. Well I saw them drag a clown, once, but that was part of the act. At this point, I see no evidence he was dragged, but if it comes up he was dragged I will condemn him with you.

Next, on your other issue, yeesh. While I can’t read mind I am pretty sure this guy wasn’t like “yeehaw! I get to rope and drag me a N-word like them run away slaves in the good ol’ days!” That is really, really reaching. Just because such horrible things happened to slave (as well as Native Americans, horse thieves, settlers, etc) doesn’t mean that the two actions have ANYTHING similar. I mean with that line of logic calf roping is just simulated runaway slave capture.

People are cheering because people in general do not like thieves. Especially people who steal from others. And a bike? For some people that is the ONLY way they can get around. It like stealing a car.

The guy stopped him with little to no damage and waited for the cops. No one beat the guy up or further hurt him. Hell if every arrest from a cop was like this, we wouldn’t have so many dead suspects.

5 Likes

There is a very good reason vigilantism is considered wrong and/or immoral and that’s what this was. Police aren’t allowed to throw ropes around your ankles so that you fall head first in to concrete. Using violence and force to stop a simple theft is immoral. It is also illegal in most places.

That and the fact that we glorify violence against people. There is already a cheering section for the yahoo. There are plenty of people cheering on the vigilante. I find violence against human beings appalling and reprehensible and often think it’s gone a long way towards our framing war dead as heroes and how we have come to glorify violence over justice in this nation. We pay a heavy price for this sort of thinking.

1 Like

Well now we know who is the fastest post in the West.

2 Likes

Is there actually a rule against that, or is it just that police mostly lack the skill set to do so? After all, police can and frequently do employ body slams, pepper spray, tasers, batons and other violent means of subduing a suspect. Causing someone to trip seems pretty mild by comparison.

3 Likes

I realize tackling/checking thieves is generally stupid and ill-advised but now you’re arguing it’s immoral?

Hopefully you do have a line at which you’d accept some amount of “vigilantism”. Like if this guy had kidnapped her child or something.

Police are granted the power of arrest by the people. As such they are held to a higher standard (theoretically anyway) than the rest of us. We do this partly because we see a need for police and partly to stop people from taking the law in to their own hands.

Nope. None. Stopping violence, preventing theft, and the like are one thing and are not vigilantism. Once the crime has been committed and no one is in danger, in all cases the police should be allowed to do their job.
Now, if this guy had kidnapped a child and was running away, do you think a guy with a rope is what’s best for the child or do you think the increased risk of danger to the child should be considered? And what about the likelihood that someone might overreact given a child abduction and how our emotions can get away from us in those situations causing us to react over violently? Sorry, I just can’t support that. Either we are a nation with laws or we are not. The middle ground is not where we need to be.

1 Like

Like, say, citizen’s arrest?

In general, a private person is justified in using non-deadly force upon another if he reasonably believes that: (1) such other person is committing a felony, or a misdemeanor amounting to a breach of the peace; and (2) the force used is necessary to prevent further commission of the offense and to apprehend the offender. The force must be reasonable under the circumstances to restrain the individual arrested. This includes the nature of the offense and the amount of force required to overcome resistance.

6 Likes

Wanted to “like” for the Americanization of Emily reference, but I just don’t agree that citizens should never take action against miscreants. Odd are this guy would never have been caught just like most bike thieves. There have been numerous examples that even when someone sees their former bike for sale on Craigslist they can’t interest the police in getting involved.

This cowboy IS a hero to everyone who has been victim of these petty crimes that just destroy your hope in being able to have a community where everyone isn’t a target and everything not nailed down or locked isn’t a moment away from being stolen. In the city you have to chain a potted plant in front of your brownstone or someone will steal it. How fucked up is that?

2 Likes

I’m actually surprised more people didn’t complain of vigilanteism. However the thread is young so BBSers still have a chance!

Slander, for a ‘good’ cause, however…

Think on that a few seconds, please.

Do you, from time to time, find hints of racism in the way your morning cereal arranges itself in the bowl?

Just askin’…

This, times 10^100.

No but I do hear people in my community talk about this event in a negative light due to the history of Oregon and the optics of the event.