Rebirth of the Keytar!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/13/rebirth-of-the-keytar.html

2 Likes

“rebirth”?!?

This precludes I ever put mine down at all :wink:

13 Likes

At first glance, I assumed this was a boingboing store post.

8 Likes

One might even consider it the afterbirth.

4 Likes

Cool, I get to plug Knower and their use of keybass!

3 Likes

Obligatory Venn Diagram:

31 Likes

Now maybe we’ll find out if the world is ready for an Asian man on keytar.

2 Likes

Time to reboot Silverhawks!

2 Likes

The all-black look of the first image made me think Roli Seaboard. Looks like someone put some Seaboards and Blocks on a custom frame and made their own, since Roli (still) does not:

4 Likes

Hmmm. This, or an iPhone Xs? With one, I can attract all the ladies. With the other, I can pretend to be a Koala bear. Decisions, decisions.

ETA: My brother wanted us to form a band at one point, for some reason. I can’t remember why. It’s not like I have any musical skill. I can press “play” on iTunes; that’s as musical as I get. He wanted me to learn to play the Keytar. We’re still related.

3 Likes

I challenge you to it. If you can be aa koala bear, I want proof. We need to smell it.

1 Like

Good point. Edited.

1 Like

Hold out for the drumitar!

4 Likes

I held out for “no”.

1 Like

Yeah that thing never went away:

(In this video, singer Regine Chassagne of US-Canadian band Arcade Fire can be seen triggering some kind of arpeggio or other sequence with a Keytar)

OK. Saw the video (sound muted).
Agreed : the thing can be used to play hockey.
What about music now ? Can it be used to play music ?

1 Like

Keytar Bear has prevailed, single-pawedly bringing it back:

1 Like

Here’s its grandfather.

Looking at the popularity of EDM these days, synthesists can get plenty of spotlight without a keytar. But that isn’t to say they can’t get more spotlight with a keytar.

As for me, the only keytar I want is the Moog Liberation:

However, I am willing to play a Yamaha CS-01 with straps and a breath controller (is it a keytar if it has no neck?):

3 Likes

King Julien will be thrilled! image