Red Skull, thin skin: guru Jordan Peterson is angry that latest villain incarnation talks like him

Let me tell you a little story:

This morning I read the newspaper. There was an article about the horrific terror attack that happened here in Norway ten years ago in July. Let’s remember for a second how horrific this was: a far right terrorist roaming over an island and systematically executing 69 humans, most of them children and teenagers, whose only fault was that they spent their summer in a summer camp organised by the centre left social democratic party. The bomb he also set off in Oslo is almost a footnote compared to that unimaginable horror. Unimaginable. He killed them for the fact that their parents or they supported a democratic party.

Why am I talking about this anniversary? Because this morning, as I read that article, I remembered that the “manifesto” the terrorist wrote (I won’t mention his name, just like the newspaper didn’t) was where I first heard the term “cultural Marxism”. The very first time. (I didn’t read the manifesto of course but extracts were all over the news at the time).Which tells me that the concepts Peterson uses were widespread in the far right sphere long before he made them palatable to the masses. Nothing you could say could convince me that he isn’t very aware of that. He has mainstreamed part of the same ideology that monster (and many who came after him) have used to “justify” their horrible deeds.

You can follow the teachings of Nietzsche even though Hitler did as well, because Nietzsche came before Hitler. Peterson came after the monster.

He has no excuse.

49 Likes

So…are you saying his daughter does or doesn’t speak for him on this? Because you’re writing this like it’s all on Mikhaila Peterson and not him, but then managing someone’s social media presence is pretty much the most literal implementation of speaking on their behalf.

27 Likes

Yep. And apparently, even if you do read every single thing he’s ever said or written, you can still just cognitively dissonate your way out of it. The human brain is frustrating sometimes.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I’m just going to recycle my comment from last week.

11 Likes

Aside from explicit injunctions not to follow ideologies blindly, is Peterson’s own worldview incompatible with the far right? Is his condemnation of “Alt-Right and Nazis” an expression of his convictions or merely a disclaimer?

8 Likes

fun drinking game: on twitter, view a random person following him. if they follow open nazi Lauren Southern, take a shot. Faith Goldy? Another shot. Lindsay Shepherd, white nationalist? Nother shot. Take a shot for every Groyper they follow. Another shot for Tucker Carlson.

99 times out of 100, you’ll be drunk by the time you finish viewing one Peterson fan’s following list.

[sobs into flask]

23 Likes

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/understanding-dangers-of-alcohol-overdose

16 Likes

That’s not something to go bragging about loudly, methinks.

28 Likes

Yeah. I have the first issue of his run writing Black Panther I bought in…early 2017 I think?

3 Likes

I’ve got a little list…

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Cultural%20Marxism

5 Likes

This isn’t a democracy.

4 Likes

The forum is not a democracy and repeating the same sentences doesn’t make them more correct. Please find new material before the entire forum dies of boredom.

10 Likes

Last I checked JP was in a coma in russia after eating a meat-only diet didn’t cure his drug addiction, so he may not be up to have opinions on comic books at the moment.

ETA: Apparently he got better, for some definition of better. Hasn’t been in a coma since last year at least.

4 Likes

Guy can’t even pick the right year to skip by going into a medically-induced coma… 2020 would have been it.

10 Likes

And if you are well versed in the far right the term had a longer and nastier pedigree than you might guess. The term entered the semi-mainstream of the US right in the early 2000s, but had been kicking around the Larouche affiliated fringes for a decade before that. One of the big people who mainstreamed it did so, in part, at a Holocaust denial conference. Peterson pushed it before your incident, but not before the LaRouche and Lind uses. The term was a gentle masking of its earlier name Kulturbolschewismus, or cultural Bolshevism, just straight up direct Nazi propoganda. It is pushing the same line as it was under the Nazis, which shows that it isn’t just an unfortunate name collision. Some shadowy cabal is poisoning our traditional culture to institute Communism. In the case of the Nazis, it was just the Jews. In the LaRouche years it was the Frankfurt school, whose practitioners it was always pointed out were Jewish. Once you get to Peterson, they’ve quieted on saying that they were Jews, but still point to the Frankfurt school and critical theory to keep the thread nice and tight.

Good for you, because his editor clearly hasn’t. Maps of Meaning is a mess.

22 Likes

Jordan Peterson has only just come out of an intensive care unit, Mikhaila said. He has neurological damage, and a long way to go to full recovery. He is taking anti-seizure medication and cannot type or walk unaided, but is “on the mend” and his sense of humour has returned.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.59.21 PM

Bro, are you just now figuring out that Ta-Nehisi Coates writes comics?

@gracchus and @Mister44 beat me to it. I love how this conservative outrage machine works, though. Being generally uninformed and culturally ignorant seems to be core to their… beliefs, I guess?

15 Likes

Dr. Jill Biden does.

2 Likes

There are plenty of people who use phd in their twitter handles. Doesn’t mean their bloviating assholes like Peterson.

12 Likes