Remember taking the "Nestea Plunge" when it was hot?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/26/remember-taking-the-nestea-p.html

5 Likes

I remember! I also remember trying to recreate the plunge at a pool and realising a) how scary it is to just fall backwards, and 2) just how much that water can hurt when you hit it flat.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I grew up drinking the hell out of nestea and never heard of this plunge thing nor ever seen the ad. Though i might be cheating because i didn’t grow up in the US :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Nestea had enough sugar in it to put you into a diabetic coma.

11 Likes

I remember the plunge, but from growing up in the midwest my summertime flashback is singing the Poolmart jingle:

:musical_note:
Summer’s great! Summer’s fun!
Especially if you’re a lucky one.
Lucky enough to have a family pool from Poolmart.
Poolmart pools are fun!

Vacation in your own back yard.
When the weather’s hot, you’re always cool.
Always cool in your family pool from Poolmart.
Poolmart pools are fun! :musical_note:

Not sure how geographically wide-reaching the Poolmart brand was.

1 Like

my local theme park’s water log ride was sponsored by Nestea for a while, I think there was a sign hanging over the top of the hill saying something about Nestea Plunge.

2 Likes

Synergy

3 Likes

Same. Learned right away that you’ve got to stick your butt out a little.

3 Likes

Late stage capitalism.

1 Like

I remember getting piles of free Nestea cans when I was 13 and on the beach in Miami? And it taking me a while to realize that the Lipton Tennis Open was happening nearby and that they were counter-marketing. And then it took maybe a week for me to realize that a can of iced tea a day was why I was suddenly completely unable to fall asleep. Ah innocent chemical free youth.

8 Likes

And it’s owned by a company that thinks it’s totally okay to dam off and effectively steal water supplies from people with government bribes, then selling the water back to the people they stole it from at prices they can’t possibly afford, in part because prior to Nestle’s interference, they simply got their water from the now-dry lake and riverbeds for free.

Just absurdly, mustache twirly evil.

11 Likes

I certainly remember those ads but what I remember most is being annoyed that those people were letting their full glasses of iced tea plunge into the pool with them. What the hell? I just made that for you! I’m not making you another. And no glassware in the pool, dammit!

And after watching those links I decided I’m also annoyed that they just jammed the spoon through the sealed lid. What sort of animal does that? Peel that shit off nice.

15 Likes

Wasn’t Sinbad in that?

4 Likes

I’m curious, your BB [57Lh7m5gq2f04iR] name, I said it 10 times fast and didn’t get it wrong, do I win a prize?

5 Likes

Yup, rather well-lodged in memory, those.

Not being a regular commercial-watcher in recent years, the last I can recall was their self-parody:

1 Like

We had a swimming pool in our own backyard since the 50’s. Iced tea ( sorry, home-brewed Lipton ) was the only thing we ever drank at poolside never soda pop.
But, since no glass was allowed around our “cement pond” we had these cool unbreakable plastic tall drinking glasses that were dual walled with wicker inside.
BTW, I did drop a full one and it shattered.
Thanks for the warm memories RB.

7 Likes

No, but I remember the Pepsi Summer Chill Out.

1 Like

Man, sitting outside hot and bored, I longed to take the Nestea plunge as a child of the 70s

6 Likes

Yes.

I have taken many a Nestea plunge in my day. I can still feel the water up my nose.

2 Likes