Remember the time a Cabbage Patch doll chewed a girl's hair up to her scalp and would not let go? Here's a video

Originally published at: Remember the time a Cabbage Patch doll chewed a girl's hair up to her scalp and would not let go? Here's a video | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Oh My! That reminds me of…

7 Likes

My mother during that time period: “That’s what happens when you give dolls demon’s names!”

I just remember that the big plastic head was useful for fighting my brother. Swung from their legs, they made a decent club.

7 Likes

According to the news report, “Mattel says they’ve had fewer than 10 reported incidents.”

…with that particular doll.

12 Likes

“Normally the food goes right into the doll’s backpack.”

Is that what they called colostomy bags back then?

10 Likes
4 Likes

No, but I think mine was named “Ace”.

1 Like

We had such amazingly crazy toys then. Remember the Barbie doll with the skates that could light things on fire?

If not, here’s a Dave Barry version of a write up on it, which is more fun than the news version.

6 Likes

Golden State Warriors Lol GIF by NBA

5 Likes

Now with the Chuck-etts!

2 Likes

Look, the name of the doll model is clearly “Snacktime Kids”. They just didn’t go the extra step to specify it’s your Kid that is the Snack.

4 out of 5 stars. Could use clarification, but works as advertised.

5 Likes

And the others?

6 Likes

Many of the best toys that I had as a child were essentially a hot plate.

2 Likes

I remember having a chemistry set with many vials of…chemicals. And I would mix them all the time, completely unsupervised. And then the woodburning kit with the 3 inch cord.

And I only set the house on fire once!

7 Likes

So the parents put the batteries in the thing. Why didn’t they just take them out?

2 Likes

scary-doll-barbarella1

4 Likes

dc9369de6e1f878b4fe3766a9b80abea

6 Likes

I think by the time it had clamped on, they probably did and still could not loosen the grip the thing had on the girl.

According to the news report, “Mattel says they’ve had fewer than 10 reported incidents.”

I’d like more context for this quote. Did they sound disappointed?

1 Like

Remember them, hell, I was out there in the driveway lighting pieces of toilet paper on fire.

But then the damn Karenmoms said I was setting a bad example for my girls.