Rep. Adam Kinsinger of Illinois will vote to impeach Trump, becomes third Republican House member to formally break from GOP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/rep-adam-kinsinger-of-illinois-will-vote-to-impeach-trump-becomes-third-republican-house-member-to-formally-break-from-gop.html

4 Likes

Fourth after Liz Cheney?

4 Likes

We need a tidal wave of this.

8 Likes

Word.

Four or five is still NOT enough…

13 Likes

3rd after Liz Cheney. Place numbers for completely unrelated matters are being thrown around: Cheney occupies the 3rd highest position in the house republican leadership (house republican conference chair), and was the 2nd house republican to issue a formal statement in favour of impeachment.

2 Likes

Keep in mind there have been I think at least 3 republican senators that have indicated an openness to impeachment, I just don’t think any of them have published formal statements.

4 Likes

OK, correct me if I’m wrong, but… who gives a shit? I assume the measure was sure to pass in Congress anyway, but as I understand it unless 17 Republican senators vote to convict – and nothing I’ve seen suggests they will – all it will accomplish is give Trump an opportunity to crow about being “vindicated” again, call the whole thing a “hoax”, etc. etc.

Not that I’m suggesting they shouldn’t bother, but news of modest congressional Republican support isn’t nearly as heartening as news of substantial Republican senate support.

4 Likes

I give a shit. And every american should too.

If nothing else, this shows that even in the face of an armed insurrection these douchebags are willing to back trump. That should be shown and on record (none of this secret vote bullshit either) to show what evil they truly are.

15 Likes

Out of how many hundred?

2 Likes

IMPEACH THE MOTHERFUCKER NOW.

Between this and several republican senators saying same, and the house voting tonight to formally put forward removal under 25th Amendment first and if that doesn’t work they are voting for impeachment afterward it is a wonderful day.

5 Likes

We are stuck with some version of the Republican Party for the foreseeable future. I expect to consider that party an adversarial body for the rest of my natural life, but I’d much rather have an adversary that possessed at least some capacity for reason and rule of law than one which was naught but a racist elder god of chaos and destruction.

13 Likes

The next logical step for Kinzinger and crew is that at some point they’re going to have to face the fact that getting rid of [expletive deleted] isn’t going to be enough–there’s still a large contingent of his party that effectively supports plain fascism, and he doesn’t really seem like the kinid of guy who really wants to be associated with that. So he’s going to have to get out entirely.

4 Likes

Off topic, but ya think there’s any chance any of these GOP people who were cowering in their bunkers now understand why Black folk don’t trust the cops?

1 Like

No.

13 Likes

Only in the actual moment when their lives were danger, maybe.

Once that moment passed, Im sure any empathy they may felt faded away quickly.

11 Likes

How can anyone be a republican nowadays and have empathy?

2 Likes

*shrugs

Life threatening circumstances can make anyone have their ‘Come to Jesus’ moment. Whether it lasts is another story all together…

6 Likes

Three reasons:

1. Make them vote, make it public. Virtually tattoo their foreheads with “INSURRECTIONIST.”
  2. It allows a vote to disqualify 45 from ever holding federal office again that is a simple majority vote.
  3. To be prosecuted for actions while in office, he has to be charged (impeached) while in office.
11 Likes

^^^What he said.^^^

1 Like

Oh Hell NO! None of them died they were just slightly inconvenienced.
Some of them probably felt highly exhilarated. /s