Rep. Clyde vows to protect people who "accidentally carry their firearms through airport security”

(*citation needed)

7 Likes

Law abiding citizens who break the law.

3 Likes

Most of the time, you get a fine and are allowed to remediate the situation in some way, as long as you are legally entitled to be in possession of the firearm.

Although the laws can vary quite a bit state-to-state and also whether or not you’re trying to enter the country. I once through a stupid mistake tried to fly with a box of .22 ammo in my carryon. I legitimately forgot it - I didn’t even own a firearm, I had bought it to give to a coworker after we went shooting after work to replace what I had shot. It was the first time I was picked for TSA Precheck, too. I got a fine, I handed it over to TSA, and had a brief interview with a (rather sour) police officer and went on my way. It has not caused any other issues since - I am still in TSA Precheck, I got Global Entry at one point and the incident did not come up at all in the interview. Beyond the fine and talking to that day, no further repercussions.

Now, the inconsistency part. I have a friend who was hungry waiting for her flight in Paris. After going through security, she bought a banana and other snacks near her gate, and stuck the banana in her backpack. She flew into IAD, and forgot about it at customs, and they found the banana. Got yelled at, a report was filed (not sure if there was a fine). The banana came up at her Global Entry interview, and she almost did not get approved.

To summarize: DHS is very concerned about bananas. Less so about live ammunition. I guess.

2 Likes

Would he also be so understanding of someone who accidentally brought a gun into his office?

2 Likes

Yeah. I guess the reasoning is, you could kill someone with a firearm, but you could destroy billions of dollars of agriculture and possibly lead to people starving to death if you introduce a new disease into a country.

1 Like

This. The worst thing I’ve ever done is wear the same boots that I wore at an outdoor range to the airport the following day (and they did the swab thing, and nothing… If anything should have shown some positive residue… You’ll feel secure to know that my wife’s belongings tested positive we suspect due to glycerin in hand lotion, so there’s that.).

I can’t imagine not being aware of where a firearm was, and/or not having it in a secured container. Anyone who is that unaware of the exact location of their firearm should not be responsible for one.

1 Like

It’s a variant of the Charlie Stross problem: It’s hard to joke about something when your worst satire is their serious proposal.

(Charlie’s problem being that it’s hard to write science fiction when real life events enact your ‘what-if’ scenarios while you’re still writing them, and add details that your own editor would reject as unbelievable.)

1 Like

Oh. That evil fucker gives Gohmert a run for his money.
Speaking of whom, Gohmert won’t be AG of Texas. Probably still stuck with him in Congress 'til he croaks, instead.

WTF would anyone vote against this? Gods…
The Three Jackasses
The only three representatives to vote against the bill were Republicans Andrew Clyde (Ga.), Thomas Massie (Ky.) and Chip Roy (Texas).

Not surprised to see Roy on that list.
What wastes of air they are.

But it Owns The Libs & gets his base foaming, so…

There is NO excuse for that. ‘I forgot’ doesn’t cut it.
If you are going to be that irresponsible with a deadly weapon, then you don’t deserve to have one, period.

I’m a (hopefully) responsible gun owner. One does not “accidentally” do anything with a gun. Not ever.

If you don’t know where your guns are at all times, you don’t deserve them. Doubly so if one is loaded.

There is simply no excuse for not knowing you have a weapon in your carry on. Period, end of discussion.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.