Rep. Kevin McCarthy promises to make heroin safer for kids

Originally published at: Rep. Kevin McCarthy promises to make heroin safer for kids | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I mean, the idea isn’t entirely wrong

16 Likes

Not at all… but given who is saying this and the fact that I doubt he supports harm reduction policies over criminalization policies with regards to drugs… :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

“Won’t someone think of the kids” is never about the kids. It’s always about ravaging vulnerable people for power.

6 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, your next Speaker of the House, a man who will be two heartbeats away from the presidency.

Then again, let’s not forget Jim Wright, Dennis Hastert, Newt Gingrich, etc.

They still have to win control of the house, which they have not done yet, and even if they do take the house, he’s not a guaranteed shoe-in, given that the Trump wing opposes him.

8 Likes

Yep, there’s still hope, but who would Trump back for the job—Boebert or MTG?

1 Like

Gaetz backed Boebert so… who knows. I don’t think either of them would win either, though. It would likely end up some other third person who has the support of the party leadership, but can still get at least some of the Trump wing.

6 Likes

Stefanik? She’s the rep for my hometown and has been a total sycophant the past few years, flipping from moderate centrist to far right MAGA, but isn’t as full crazy as MTG and Boebert, so has some sheen of respectability still. She moved up fast when Cheney was on the outs. She’s also unfortunately very secure in her seat, northern NY that she reps is politically closer to the deep south than NYC. I recall hearing she’s in line for whip as is.

2 Likes

Does it involve legalizing the drugs and regulating them? no? It’s faulty.

1 Like

If not for Gohmert, McCarthy would be a strong contender for dumbest person in Congress.

1 Like

5 Likes

Who would Trump back? Um isn’t the Trump as Speaker of the House plan still a thing/fantasy? Like is there not some weird loophole imagined or real that says the Speaker of the House doesn’t even need to be a member of Congress or some crazy shit?

4 Likes

Gohmert’s out! He ran for Texas and only got 17 percent of the vote in the primary. So the dunce cap goes to KMac.

3 Likes

I guess you have to think like a guy his age, where their kids are in their 20s and 30s. :confused:

But yeah - you don’t have to smuggle drugs or people through open borders. You don’t employ a bunch of border control agents to patrol a border if there are open borders.

It is a fucking lie that falls apart after 2 seconds of thought.

1 Like

Reminds me of Gale from Breaking Bad:

(Except, of course, that McCarthy isn’t interested in decriminalizing drugs)

2 Likes

That’s not true. Some people want to get rid of assault rifles to protect kids in schools.

What you are looking for is that republicans never care about anyone, they love cruelty especially towards anyone with less power.

3 Likes

I think you mean “convicted child rapist Dennis Hastert”

6 Likes

To be fair…ensuring a safe supply of drugs is one of the best ways to prevent overdose deaths.

Though, I have a hard time believing that the goal with this policy isn’t more convictions and arrests.

6 Likes

do your homework, Congressman

The very idea! He has beliefs and convictions (sadly not that sort) so why would he need any facts?

2 Likes