Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green's Q-Anon caucus fizzles when exposed to light

The crowns are still out there; but I wouldn’t go looking for them if I were you. That’s not a threat, it is just a warning to the curious.

10 Likes

Political wing of the Sons of Urien Rheged?

(Had to do a quick Google to check that wasn’t an actual militant group.)

4 Likes

Is this where I shout “Splitters!!!” ?

5 Likes

It’s the thing about architecture that confuses me. American institutional architecture is generally neo-classical, certainly not Anglo-Saxon. Given who’s saying it, I suspect what she means is “No Mosques”.

8 Likes

The sign of a very fine Nazi is when they throw their staff under the bus to distract from their racist rhetoric. “I didn’t say that! My staff wrote it!”

Yeah, they wrote it because you specifically TOLD THEM TO, Nazi Barbie.

7 Likes

And he regularly ignored evidence in the documents he did look at when it did not conform to his thesis. He very much had an argument in mind, and went with that rather than what the sources were telling him. He very much wanted to prove that Nazi Germany was an aberration from all the other highly anti-Semitic societies in the world, especially in Europe (pursuing the Sonderweg to it’s logical conclusion). And since the Nazis were so roundly defeated by the heroic West, who actively turned away refugees from Germany, at least some of whom ended up dead in Nazi camps later, that the threat posed by them can’t happen again.

Browning in much more concerned with drawing out a more complex history, in order to show the underlying forces that can emerge anywhere.

7 Likes

Modern mainstream opinion includes the Picts with the Celts, I believe, and has them speaking a P-Celtic language closely related to, or even just a dialect of, Brythonic (the ancestor of Welsh, Cornish, Cumbrian and Breton).

Possibly a pity, as I believe it was used by the early English themselves, if only occasionally: e.g., King Alfred was styled Anglosaxonum Rex (or so I’ve read).

1 Like

It absolutely was. As I said above, from a European perspective this is more of a fringe debate

1 Like

Interestingly, Kent kept its pre-Norman inheritance laws (gavelkind rather than primogeniture) until the 1920s, allegedly because the Men of Kent and Kentish Men chose to make peace with William the Conqueror rather than fighting.

1 Like

And Woody Guthrie:

They say America First but they mean America Next.

6 Likes

“Occasionally” may be the right word.

1 Like

or the Picts! that bunch of matrilineal coast-huggers…

1 Like

6 Likes

Jutes? What was that word?

How do we know they were Jutes? Maybe they’re Geats.

That would be the “black Irish” who are, well, basically Spaniards.

4 Likes

John Tenniel deserves a lot of scorn for this.

1 Like

They were just trŏlling.

2 Likes

A subliterate bunch of guys
Though some sources say otherwise

1 Like

3 Likes

Anglo Saxon is a common term Anglo Celtic not so much… And all the immigrant influences in the British Isles and colonies back and forth.

It seems any political ideology that can’t get their vernacular anywhere near an understanding of their history is corrupt at the outset.

1 Like

Totally aside from the meat of the story, I’m interested in CNN’s continuous use of “Congressman Green” instead of “Representative,” “Congresswoman,” or “Congressperson.” Is this CNN’s standard style? Is it everyone’s standard style? (I don’t follow much TV news.)

I wouldn’t have thought much of it the first time they said it, but it was when the reporter “read” the statement at 2:21 as “Congressman” instead of what the statement clearly said, which was “Congresswomen,” I was surprised.

(link to the time)