Rep. Ron Wright first member of congress to die from Covid-19

Actually, he’s the 2nd except for a technicality.

Rep.-elect Luke Letlow (R-LA) dies from Covid complications days before being sworn in.

19 Likes

Not a national legislator, but a North Dakota state legislator nominee managed to die of COVID before winning his election.

7 Likes

That didn’t age well

3 Likes

Not to worry, i’m sure he’ll be back to tweeting in no time! I believe that Herman Cain has a Substack talking about how to tweet from beyond one’s grave.

6 Likes

Are you sure that shouldn’t read “who was a cancer”?

1 Like

Maybe. But the vaccine takes time to stimulate the immune system, so even if he got the second dose that day it would not have been anywhere near fully effective.

1 Like

“Democrats are choosing teachers unions and special interests over the well-being of our students.”

Apparently, “reducing U.S. casualties to a disease that has already killed 463,000 people” is now a “special interest.”

18 Likes

Yeah, Special Interests. I hear that Big Mortuary is trying to limit the number of deaths as they have no space left to store the corpses.

7 Likes

Getting off-topic, but…

Arlington, Waxahachie, Corsicana…

… is a hell of a district! Those are like 30 miles from one another. (IIRC there was a district – Ron Paul’s? – that stretched from East Austin to Surfside.)

Looks like Arlington’s no longer in the 26th District (i.e. where/when Dick Armey used to represent Arlington…).

(@navarro)

1 Like

You have to admit: dying’s a heck of an “alternative course of action”.

7 Likes

So Ron Wright is no liberal’s friend, but as he had lung cancer before coronavirus, I can attest he took the thing seriously - but of course that didn’t stop anyone else on his side from downplaying it, even if it was ultimately at his expense.

1 Like

I’m hearing a lot about the repubs getting and dying from the covids, but what about the Dems? Anybody on that side of the aisle allowing barely-alive molecules to invade and infiltrate into their respiratory cells?

May he rest in peace. May his replacement be a Democrat.

7 Likes

Yes, he died of COVID-19, but lung cancer has to be a hell of a comorbidity on this one. You think that would have focused him a bit more on social distancing.

1 Like

this will have to be filled by a special election called by governor abbott. i’d love to have a democratic rep to replace wright.

6 Likes

Just the ones who caught it while hiding from the Trumpsurrection with maskless assholes from the GOP in a close confined space. :rage:

11 Likes

Add to that that any vaccine isn’t a magic shield. 95% effectiveness means exactly that. Have enough exposure, a high enough exposure, anything (like cancer or treatments for it) that could limit immune function, or are just shit unlucky, and you can get the disease you’ve been vaccinated for.

9 Likes

In New Zealand and Australia it makes the news if there is just one new case of Covid reported… we had the same initial growth rates but flattened the curve and reversed the trend primarily through social distancing and mandatory mask wearing in public and commercial spaces.

There are still ani-masker idiots chiming in on facebook and twitter about the threat to civil liberties and democracy!?

1 Like

But seriously, yes…a concerning percentage of the US population still thinks their “right” to not be mildly inconvenienced “trumps” everyone else’s right to survive this pandemic. We’re held hostage by a bunch of spoiled children in this country and I have no idea how to make that stop.

5 Likes
6 Likes