Rep. Ron Wright first member of congress to die from Covid-19

Yep I get the snark but my interest in posting is for my US friends and family and happy to be ‘not attractive’ in sharing a personal stake in wearing a mask when ‘others’ think it inconvenient. Being in Japan it is convention to wear a mask to not spread your localized illness and now that is reversed.

From the outside it may seem so simple, just wear the masks everyone

4 Likes

My uncle became symptomatic 6 days after getting his first vaccine. He has been on a ventilator for a week and now on dialysis. Yup, 2 weeks for full effect.

7 Likes

Just before the pandemic started I had been considering the possibility of moving to New Zealand. Should’ve acted sooner…

3 Likes

Not to mention “teacher’s unions”. Talk about punching down- picking on a group of people who are paid terribly, dreadfully overworked, yet are among the most important people in our entire civilization. Yes god forbid we do anything that might help them a teeny bit. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

My impression is that New Zealand is very hard to move to even without COVID.

1 Like

if you are educated with a background in one of a short list of desirable professions it is not so bad. as well, if you are retired with a relatively high retirement income and savings it’s not so bad either.

4 Likes

I had an acquaintance who was a medical doctor for a community in a difficult to get to area of NZ and he was only allowed to stay in the country 6 months out of the year, I think. That’s what gave me the impression.

2 Likes

it is true that there are different rules for different types of residency. it’s one thing if you’re looking to stay and work while remaining a citizen of another country and it’s another thing if you’re looking to become a citizen in comfortable retirement or in a limited selection of professions. it’s not as easy as some other countries but not as hard as others.

4 Likes

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/live-permanently

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.