Report: Trump visit to Britain canceled

That’s the way it is when you plan poorly and ad hoc organization becomes the norm; think WH Cabinet.

3 Likes

It already feels a bit like the last couple of years of the Major ministry.

7 Likes

We call that “Jubelperser” (cheerpersians) here in Germany, that comes from a state visit of the Shah of Persia to Germany in 1967, especially a visit to the Deutsche Oper in Berlin where a group of payed Cheerers (many of them agents of the persian secret service) shielded the motorcade from protesters and attacked the protesters.
Also the orange bastard is not welcome here in Germany too.

13 Likes

It’s important to me that the world doesn’t end up seeing this as personal tiff between May and Dump. If so, there is a risk that whichever Tory backstabber that eventually unseats May can pretend that this change of PM wipes the slate clean and that the invitation can be renewed.

3 Likes

Isn´t the orange bastard just as toxic to the rest of the Tories as to May? I mean considering that he is as popular as a dead ferret they would shoot themselves in the foot by trying to get on his good side.
Then again, from what I have learned, the Tories have a history of shooting themselves in the foot.

4 Likes

I choose dead ferret, please!

6 Likes

I am not sure May really finds him that toxic, to me her rebuke feels more like a mild “well… I felt I had to say something”.

2 Likes

:snake: Amen and pass the 25th Admendnent paperwork.

1 Like

(It was a joke, and you’re obviously right.)

I’m sure the british government will bend over to get in their overlords good favors again at a moments notice. They feel the pressure of their bumbling attempts at negotiating the Brexit.

3 Likes

I think you’re on to something, there. We all know his staff only gives him good news to read, like the polls that say 49% of the country approves of him, and not the ones that say it’s 35%. I doubt he watches Colbert. It’s entirely possible, in my mind, that he doesn’t really know how despised he is, and he wouldn’t believe it, anyway. It’s probably a lot of both.

2 Likes

I feel a little sorry for Major. Despite his lack of formal education he was very smart, and understood Europe more than many of the Oxford-trained toffs in his party. He also seemed to have some personal integrity, which put him in start contrast with the rest of the Tory leadership. If my memory serves, pretty much every other senior Conservative at the time was deeply embroiled in sex scandals.

1 Like

… and Major wasn’t? (Though it only came out later, so technically you are correct when saying ‘at the time’). Still, I agree that he can’t have been too bad an egg or Edwina wouldn’t have gone near him, given her views on British eggs at the time.

3 Likes

Well, honestly, he just had a simple affair with a colleague at roughly the same level of power. The ones around him were pretty tawdry. And it was over before he became PM.

Currie, now, she would have been an entertaining PM!

6 Likes

Do it with Curtana, just for the irony factor.

4 Likes

You think she has a Windows phone?

1 Like

Too right. I agree so much, I just spent a few hours making it not a magazine cover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.