Reporter who does not like to be touched meets man who likes to touch reporters

I really dont have much sympathy for the reporter. They dont want to talk to him, they arent going to talk to him, but it is his job to force his way into peoples space, get in their face, and harass them even after they have said no? Then he is “upset” that he is violated? To me, the reporter is causing the tension, and he is good at doing it.

4 Likes

As a cab driver, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who excessively touch me (and use my name twice in every sentence) because they think they are ‘effective communicators’.

But also: One of the most memorable experiences in almost 5 years of driving cab was a woman grabbing my hand after she paid the fare, holding it and squeezing it in a non-sexual way for a few moments, then holding my hand to her face and kissing it. It devastated me for a few minutes, I had to pull over and process what had just happened. After that shameless display of human kindness, she got out and said ‘Thanks, pass it on!’.

13 Likes

That means we all down our drinks!

glug glug glug glug

1 Like

read your wiki definition again. where did I mention Hitler?

eta: but perhaps I went too far. Apologies for the previous post.

1 Like

Now you did!

BOOM!

12 Likes

That’s perhaps because we’ve forgotten the meaning of the word ‘director’.

1 Like

ya got me!

4 Likes

7 Likes

Well breaking a hand is a different level than killing someone.

Had the reporter been a woman who was having her shoulder touched, would a physical response been more appropriate?

If it had been a woman on a bus and some guy was rubbing a shoulder, would a physical response after repeated verbal requests be appropriate?

I too would probably not break a hand, but if I knew a fancy hold I would do that. If I had something to hit it, I might do that which might break a bone (hands are fragile.)

At any rate, everyone should listen to their moms and keep their hands to themselves. If your mom didn’t teach you that, well I am telling you now.

8 Likes

I got dropped by a judo competitor at my first job.
An armbar worked damn well for him.

1 Like

Angel shot, please!

13 Likes

Uh… triggering!

If someone puts their hand on you after being told not to, break the hand.

I, however, would have picked this guy up into a huge, smiling, cajoling “Oh you!” bear-hug

Done properly they are extremely effective. But small joint manipulation is the most immediately responded to.

This is a joke right? Someone non threateningly puts their hand on someone and you’re advocating breaking bones just because “you have the right”? I thought I was reading comments on BoingBoing but this has the flavor of silly YouTube comments. Maybe the mods need to build a firewall so the Youtube comments don’t spill over to BoingBoing?

Thankfully like most YouTube macho outbursts its just bogus posturing and evidence of a rich but angry fantasy life, since like it or not civilization simply doesn’t work like that, especially in a frickin hospital between a bureaucrat and a reporter who are on the clock.

5 Likes

Let me try this again in a way that is less offensive and more respectful: everyone’s country has blemishes in its history (even yours), so keep that in mind when you act all smug and sanctimonious towards people from other countries. Good day to you sir!

2 Likes

Well, the camera person he appears to have with him is using a ~$20k camera, so… likely not a blogger?
Also, public meeting, right?

4 Likes

Did you see Mr. Touchy’s chest bump at ~1:57??? HFS that reporter had some serious patience.

6 Likes

So the touchy one is the one who doesn’t want to be touched, and the one doing all the touching is the touchy one?

3 Likes

“Christ on a stick, Larry, I only asked to borrow your stapler!”

11 Likes

He’s a reporter attending a public meeting at a public hospital (Laguna Honda.) I don’t know about the presenter, but it is the Communications Director’s job to talk to him and answer questions, not to commit misdemeanor battery to create a pretext for canceling the meeting. These are municipal employees with a fundamental responsibility to be transparent to the public.

ETA Not only is Mr. Touchy failing at his job, he’s knowingly doing it on camera.

14 Likes

It’s politics. A lot of scummy nonsense happens all the time, even flagrantly in view of the public or reporters. The only transparent thing happening here is the guy’s agenda for shutting down the reporter and the meeting.

5 Likes