Reporter who does not like to be touched meets man who likes to touch reporters

http://www.stoplhhdownsize.com/Media13-07_Of_Mold_and_Men.html

Oh boy, this one is a rabbit hole that I haven’t found the bottom of yet.

2 Likes

Mark Slavin:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marc-slavin-0659671a/

photo, name, and employer matches.

http://sfappeal.com/2010/05/see-spot-write-laguna-honda-hospital-gets-handsy/

5 Likes

We were dishwashers.

He know what he’s doing. This hospital is in the middle of a huge scandal (doctors and nurses draining money from a charity meant for patients), and he wants no reporters there.

He’s trying to goad the reporter to hit him, so that the reporter is the story and/or he can throw the reporter out. (Some on reddit even suggest the guy is a Scientologist– which makes alot of sense, because this passive-aggressive angle is straight out of the LRH playbook.)

Of course, the tactic fails as reporter displays superhuman self-control, and the Director cancels the meeting anyway.

18 Likes

He knows he is being provoked on camera. I would have dialed 911 after saying I would, but I’d have also waited a little longer to do so. I’d also have put a chair between he and I.

6 Likes

Touché

16 Likes

After reading the comments, there’s no well in hell that I’m watching the video. Just the written description of the touching makes my eye twitch…

3 Likes

Yeah, that whole accountability thing is so overrated, especially when a publicly funded hospital that was under federal oversight was accused of spending donated funds intended for the use of poor patients instead on lavish purchases for staff members. That whole fourth branch of government, 1st amendment thing about freedom of the press, especially in a public meeting, is also very overrated.

Did you notice in the beginning how the whole thing was passed off to the communications director immediately? His running interference was intentional and planned. If reporters never asked upfront questions of the people who are actually in charge of making decisions rather than communications directors and PR folks, the news would only ever consist of official press releases. The reporter is doing his job. The communications director was trying to handle him.

11 Likes

“Could everyone just calm down”, yeah, playing the tone argument to death.

1 Like

#Stop being so touchy!

Can be taken either way… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

After the reporter asked the little guy to stop touching him, and the guy kept doing it, that was when the line got crossed, then later you catch him doing a hands behind his back in your face move. uggghhh. The reporter showed restraint, and hopefully files a report both with the police and the hospital against the guy along with the video evidence.

…so did you kiss your next fare? :slight_smile: or did you forget to pass it on?

3 Likes

“You know what happens when someone fills my boots with leftover eggs and gravy, Larry? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY!”

4 Likes

And then he wins. A painful victory, sure, but his purpose was to deflect questions and even cause an incident to give an excuse to bail on answering any. I suspect he was willing to take at least a punch for the team.

Either ignore him or call his bluff. (Although ignoring him when he goes for the camera would be tough.)

Pinch his cheek, “Aren’t you Mr Silly, yes you are, aren’t you!”

If he doesn’t learn his lesson, wait until everyone is looking elsewhere, grab his belt, and drop his pants. Then quickly back off and then exclaim “What the hell? Jesus man!” to draw everyone’s attention.

10 Likes

I love that story about the young woman! I can imagine driving a cab can be a scary, interesting, and at times, fascinating job, because you get to meet all kinds of people, in all sorts of conditions, going all kinds of places.

3 Likes

I wonder if Communications Director Marc would allow some gentle facial caresses from the reporter to asses his calm demeanor, while saying “thanks for the welcome!”. The same inexorable gentle pats and strokes, but just on Marc’s face.

The reporter is just trying to get all the information he can. I’m sure some questing fingers up Marc’s giving nose or a thumb under Marc’s engaging lip would be welcome to someone who specializes in communications like Marc.

2 Likes

Yeah, more like that.

1 Like

And only 119 connections.
Worst. Communication. Director. Evar!

5 Likes

There are large easily accessible pressure points on the forearms just above the wrists, and on the inside of the upper arms about three to four fingers above the elbow joints. You’ll find them quickly if you use your dominant hand to gently pinch around your non-dominant arm. These are especially useful for deflecting casual micro-aggressive touching and make the person pull their hand back. Be careful though. Someone who knows how to fight may well respond by taking you into a hold.

If you have someone you trust who you can practice with, one of you can mimic the casual assaulter while the other practices the grapple. Be gentle.

Anything else should be learned from a qualified trainer. Really so should that, but everyone should know a few pressure points for emergencies.

2 Likes

I know two people who could show me a plethora of holds and pressure points.

Fortunately I avoid real people so I don’t really have a need to know how to use them.

3 Likes

…and no listed current employer.

Small personal revelation - LinkedIn tells me one of my contacts can introduce me to someone who can introduce me to Mark! I’m looking for a drive-by masseuse.

5 Likes

It’s been a pretty amazing experience. It’s interesting because people really open up to you, because they feel safe sharing things with someone they probably won’t see again. Had one guy inexplicably have me take him out to the woods in the middle of nowhere once very late at night. It seemed strange so I pressed him. He danced around it, but it became apparent he intended to end his life there after I dropped him off. Ended up talking with him for around an hour and then convincing him to go talk to someone at hospital instead. I’ll never forget what it felt like knowing that if I said the wrong thing it might mean this guy’s last night on earth. Ironically, I ended up not saying much, and really just trying to listen compassionately.

14 Likes