Reporter who does not like to be touched meets man who likes to touch reporters

It’s amazing how often that is the best possible action to help someone!

6 Likes

I[quote=“roomwithaview, post:64, topic:92790”]
amazing how often that is the best possible action to help someone!
[/quote]

Truth. I struggle with it all the time though. I’m a nervous talker. Also guilty of tuning out the second I know what I will say in response and chronic interrupting. The struggle is real :slightly_frowning_face:.

4 Likes

Agree.

BTW, under common law unwanted physical contact is called “battery.” Assault is causing someone to have the apprehension of imminent batter. (E.g., swinging like you will hit someone but not actually hitting them.) They are both torts and he committed many such torts here. While I don’t know in which jurisdiction this took place, they are both likely to also be crimes.

The reporter would win at court if they sued for battery and a state’s attorney would have no problem getting multiple convictions of criminal battery.

8 Likes

I have always wondered what someone who “holds a doctorate in Philosophy and Religion from the California Institute of Integral Studies with a specialization in depth psychology and the work of the post-Jungian theorist James Hillman” does for a living. Seems it is to distract reporters from asking annoying questions at open meetings at hospitals with shady financial practices.

Oh, and he is a lawyer, too. Then he should know how many crimes he committed in that video.

4 Likes

Here’s the story - The hospital treats the poorest of the poor. There is a gift fund set up to benefit these patients. The hospital allegedly used money from that fund to pay for staff parties. They refused to answer questions from the press. This reporter showed up at a meeting described as a “Town Hall Meeting” and “open to the public.”

6 Likes

A followup on that, Dr. Derek Kerr:

https://www.chanler.com/blog/posts/whistleblower-settles-retaliation-claims-sf-hospital-750k

A former hospice physician recently secured a $750,000 settlement from the City of San Francisco after he filed complaints alleging that his layoff was the result of retaliation for whistleblower complaints that San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center (“Laguna Honda Hospital”) had misused patient funds and knowingly entered into a conflict of interest.

Hmm. But did they ever investigate the whistleblower complaints, and touch nail someone?

5 Likes

While we’re at it, here’s Marc “Handsy” Slavin looking back on his actions:
http://www.mrmediatraining.com/2012/07/19/the-internet-is-forever-life-after-my-viral-video/

3 Likes

A look back on Marc’s legal career:
http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/179827

1 Like

Back in 2012!
Holy crap this is old news!
I am disappoint!
(Lol!)

2 Likes

The touch resolution:

Lecherous types everywhere applaud your civility.

4 Likes

I’ve also mentioned small joint manipulation as the method I mean.

Do not be afraid to pry off of you the fingers of your assaulter.

I do not think I can be more clear and I fucking really don’t think the sentiment is morally suspect.

3 Likes

Bruh.

2 Likes

No sorry, this guy wasn’t being lecherous in the slightest. Annoying as all get out and a caricature of passive aggressive, but there was nothing sexual about it.

As far as your recommendation for small joint manipulation, I’m a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I’ll tell you this: unless you’ve trained a submission on a fully resisting opponent many many times, there’s not a chance you’re going to successfully apply it against someone who doesn’t want you to. And furthermore, you never know how much training someone else has, so your escalation to violence might be escalated yet again.

And besides, as has been nicely pointed out above, the communications director was probably trying to incite a violent response so the reporter would be ejected.

Not only would responding with violence in this specific instance be morally suspect, but it would be counter productive, possibly illegal, uncivil, get you sued, get you fired, and could just as easily get you hurt more than the other guy anyway.

1 Like

For a blue belt that’s one hell of an over-commitment. Unless your strategy is to attempt to amplify prying the fingers of an unwanted interloper from your body to a BJJ submission in an attempt to inflame the rhetoric to such a point as I over-commit in my own response.

My sentiment is clear. Do not be so afraid of hurting the person that you do not attempt to remove unwanted physical contact.

Your street-fighting bluster obviously underlines the projection fuelling your rhetoric.

1 Like

Whether you realize it or not bending someone’s finger like that is a submission. But it doesn’t matter what you call it, its still not likely to be nearly as effective as you think it is. Nor, in this specific instance, is it remotely appropriate by any social, moral, practical or legal stretch.

I really don’t understand wrybread’s surprise that people might offer violence in response to physical assault. I’m not sure I agree with the level of detail some people are fantasising this in but I can’t imagine me being in that situation without spending the afternoon explaining my actions to the police. Just watching the video has stressed me out.

If you physically block me, get that close and then repeatedly touch me, and ignore my verbal appeals —and I’m doing nothing wrong— you’re going to get pushed back. If you start physically assaulting my camerawoman and climbing up my nose, things will escalate rapidly. I’m clearly not alone there.

And yes, that’s exactly what he was aiming for. This reporter was a saint and Mr Touchy still got his way.

4 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic.

3 Likes