Republican House Speaker Boehner announces resignation

Life is uncertain and the end is always near, so drink good whiskey.

4 Likes

Skimp not or go to your grave with Old Crow on your breath.

2 Likes

I want to challenge you on this only because it appears to me that Boehner is leaving specifically because of people in his own party…in fact, listening to him and others talk about his leaving is to understand how poorly Boehner was able to do his job, due to the fracturing we’re talking about. I didn’t hear anyone talking about how the Dems had successfully foiled his political moves, all I heard was that the Tea Party caucus (among others) wouldn’t follow his marching orders. And beyond that, the talk-radio line about Boehner’s ouster was that the Tea Party Conservatives had finally “collected a scalp”. That they could push Boehner out, and did, tells me that whatever fracturing we heard about in the past has finally come to pass and those fault lines are only now becoming abundantly clear, and should become much clearer in the next few months of political moves (who becomes speaker, majority chair, etc.).

OK, challenge accepted. Let’s define our terms, though… what does “fracture” mean here? I suspect we are going at it with different definitions. To me, fracture would mean the GOP actually splits into two official parties, rather than merely continuing to self-contain a dissident faction, aka the Tea Party. To me, fracturing means this defined BREAK and a new party forms. And so I am saying the Tea Party and others in the past have THREATENED secession, but it never comes to pass in the GOP and it just keeps staying one big tent.

But I suspect that may not be what you are talking about? You tell me.

1 Like

Agreed on the above and the need for terms. I think you’re right in that America is still a two-party system…so that wasn’t much of a challenge, I’m afraid.

Perhaps what I should have written was that the GOP’s fractures are as clear as they’ve ever been? That the “institutionalists” who wouldn’t destroy the gov’t just to stick to a “principle” are finally at parity, in terms of numbers, with the full-wacko tea partiers. I guess I’m struck that Boehner & Co admitted quite clearly that he was ousted by the TP caucus, that they’ve got enough juice to make that happen.

OK
#FINE

you win.

Again.

LOL.

1 Like

Yeah, I was expecting this after 1994 when it seemed like Ralph Reed held the reins of a sizable chunk of the party. It might have been my perception working at IBM in Austin, when (it seemed like) I was the only one who commuted north (from Austin) to work, while most everyone else (at least, those who were vocal about their religion & politics) lived in Williamson Co. which turned down Apple’s office complex in '93. I also recall a local official in Georgetown describing Austin as “that Sodom and Gomorrah to the south”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.