Republican lawmaker "punched wife in the face" for not getting undressed fast enough when he wanted sex

From where this non-lawyer is sitting, the whole episode has a distinct assault and battery and attempted rape look to it. But I’m sure Mississippi has some very progressive ideas about “spousal rights” that come into play and tone down the charges.

18 Likes

@beschizza – Can we please have some doggo posts soon? Or just some wholesome loveliness? The feed is heavy rn, and balance is a good thing.

14 Likes

On a personal level, you are correct. There are and will be democrats who abuse their spouses as well as republicans. However, on a party position level it is very much an issue. And not just on abortion either.

16 Likes

Serious answer: IANAL but this looks like the relevant set of laws for Mississippi: https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-97-crimes/ms-code-sect-97-3-7.html

For the first offense, “simple” assaults (domestic and not) are treated the same. However, the penalty for domestic simple assault ramps up for repeated violations. The third violation is a felony.

For aggravated assault, there is more variation.

5 Likes

I don’t think they’ll have to look too hard. Domestic abuse is everywhere.

1 Like

Nah. The one for those who want to ban abortion is much smaller. Plenty of abusive boyfriends/rapists/etc. want the women to be able to get abortions. After all, child support is expensive. :persevere:

As a recovering alcoholic I’ve been pretty adept at being able to identify other alcoholics simply by looking at them and observing about 30 seconds of their behavior. I can tell just by looking at this dude’s picture (the puffiness, the flushing) that this guy probably has a big alcohol problem. It’s no excuse for his behavior, but I’m sure he’ll try to use it as one, as we all do.

5 Likes

Sounds like Supreme Court justice material to me. Would someone like to make sure he gets nominated?

Say what you like about these people, whether it’s hypocrisy, bigotry, chauvinism, violence or just straight-up grifting, they always manage to remain perfectly on-brand. That level of villainous consistency doesn’t come easy. Respect.

2 Likes

On the slightly brighter side, it’s nice that it all came out into the open now. Maybe some repentance can come out of it.

And if not -and on a more cynical note- maybe karma, with a sack of pennies, can find this gentleman in a poorly lit alley and give him a bloody nose for a change.

was that not the absolute unit… :slight_smile:

McLeod, Mississippi state representative for Lucedale, was “intoxicated and holding a glass of alcohol in his hand” when deputies responded to his home late Saturday,

A true TGOP charmer.

3 Likes

Usually my YouTube recommendations have several dog video however there are none today. Maybe the dogs are taking a break.
Have a cat video:

19 Likes

He obviously has a sincere religous belief that life is precious and should be protected at all costs. I mean, what else is he gonna punch in the face, a baby’s corpse? Nah, you need babies so they can grow up to be people you beat and intimidate.

2 Likes

Of course, this means that he’s disqualified for life from possessing firearms, and must surrender all his current firearms, right?

If not, why?

14 Likes

Except, tellingly, we’ve never seen that headline. Ever.

False equivalency is false. The headline could NOT “just as easily” have been… That’s the whole point.

Not saying that Democrats don’t commit crimes – we all know they do – but the egregious level of violence against women in the U.S. comes primarily from one side of the aisle. And that needs to be pointed out, every time, until the message gets through.

(I know we’re on the same side here! Just had to say my piece.)

10 Likes

And we’ve already heard the victim state that this is how he gets on a regular basis, so it is a repeated offense.

10 Likes

Pretty sure the majority of lawmakers who vote to ban abortions would also require their own mistresses and daughters to get abortions.

“Just as easily” is probably the wrong words there. I imagine the number of Republican lawmakers who are violent is larger than the number of Democratic lawmakers. But I do think it’s foolish to think there aren’t democratic lawmakers who do this kind of thing. You get hundreds of men together and some of them are intimate partner abusers, pretty well no matter what screening criteria you apply.

11 Likes

fcf096ea1292938bdeab0241adfee37f

20 Likes

…“find” Jesus, write book, get on Fox News, get re-elected, get awarded medal of freedom

8 Likes

Thank you so much! :purple_heart:

7 Likes