Republican official's spicy Holocaust meme about wearing masks doesn't go over well

I think the reasoning runs something like, “I refuse to wear masks to show my willingness to sacrifice myself, my family, my friends and you in particular to my God the Orange One” or MAGA for short.

Humans are cute really in a self-limiting bacterial plaque sort of way. Good thing I put my money on the Blattodea. They’re doing great.

3 Likes

10 Likes

I cannot begin to articulate how disgusted I am with these people

4 Likes

You must be older than me, then. I’m 56 and I can only remember as far back as Nixon.

1 Like

I’m 54 and all I remember about Nixon from when he was in office was that they interrupted Kimba the White Lion to tell us he’d resigned. Eight-year-old me was not happy.

I think the reason that they thought it was a good idea to post this is simply that they’re unable to see outside their bubble. The disgraced GOP official who posted this almost certainly sees memes like this posted all the time by their friends and acquaintances. Everybody else likes it and it makes so much sense, so why wouldn’t the general public like his spicy Holocaust meme? They’re losing the ability to see how bad this looks, and it doesn’t help that you can embarrass yourself almost instantly these says.

[Narrator: The general public did not like his spicy Holocaust meme.]

Why the bubble is so bad, and so increasingly disconnected from reality, is the real problem. In my lifetime, I’ve seen the GOP go from dog whistles to keep the overt racists and the conspiracy theorists happy to electing the overt racists and conspiracy theorists.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’m also 54, and while 7-8 year old me was bummed to miss Kimba and Speed Racer (I think that was also pre-empted), the impeachment hearings were thoroughly fascinating, and I watched all I could. I’d started reading the newspaper editorials when I was 4: “Hey! No one told me about the comics on this page!” I orig’lly came for the cartoons but stayed for the writing. I tried discussing politics with my peers at school, and my education regarding disappointment began in earnest. It continues to this day.

11 Likes

Worldwide total will likely top one million in a few weeks, and for the northern hemisphere…Winter is coming.

5 Likes

One party is basically what we have now. The conflicts within the US government are more often than not just verbal, meaningless. They collude and end up agreeing on on most everything evil that happens. Whether that required compromise or not doesn’t let them off the hook for the final product.

What we need are more parties, and a political system that allows for them and promotes their existence, not suffocates them. What we have now is only the illusion of a party system.

3 Likes

“It betrays a total lack of both empathy and education.” Well said @JCA_MN, well said. That being said: Who else does that quote seem to describe?

2 Likes

I think the problem is in the electoral system that makes a strategy to win the presidential election to load all the possible allies in the wagon and then follow their desires.
And the fact that the president is elected via the great elector system with a dual first-past-the-post makes sometimes the person with less actual votes to win.
I think that USA needs a De Gaulle-like president that makes a reform of the electoral system, going to a two round system both for the president and the MP.

In the other side of the pond things are different, because unlike the USA they were bombed by the USA. And of course the head of the state had fighet them.

And of course the Prime minister is selected by the MP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpbrjQd3OI

2 Likes

Yes to the bubble. During the Obama administration, someone I knew from when I grew up in South Carolina told me that she missed the days of Reagan, when the country was united in loving the president.

When I told her that
— Reagan was my first really strong political hatred, at age 16
— That Reagan was pretty unpopular for much of his presidency
— That it was always clear to me, even in 1980, that trickle-down was just about destroying the middle class in favor the rich
— That Reagan negotiated with the Iranian hostage takers to keep the hostages until he was elected, and so he was a traitor

And that Obama was more popular than Reagan had been, she thought I was out of my mind.

The difference between Trump and the likes of Reagan and Gingrich is that Trump says out loud what Reagan and Gingrich thought.

9 Likes

Gingrich is when the true believers started to really take over (at least as far as I could tell). I think he believes a lot of what he says, but not all of it.

For instance, Gingrich runs repeatedly for President to get that sweet campaign money but is also smart enough to never come close to winning. Unlike someone else I could name. Although to be fair, I don’t think he was ever a serious threat to win the nomination.

4 Likes

Nah, I would hold their feet over a fire; I’d hold them over a sausage grinder and start lowering them in, which is a much more effective and permanent solution to the ‘willful ignorance’ problem. Plus, it makes it easier to feed them to the hogs if they feel like being a martyr.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.