Republican rivals team up to stop Trump at all costs

One of the few debate lines that got him angry boos from the assembled Republican audience.

I agree with whoever it was that said the problem with the #stoptrump movement is that it attacks him over his few virtues rather than his many, many flaws.

5 Likes

We have both kinds of conservative here, right wing and ultra.

15 Likes

1 Like

The thing that gets me is that, the republicans are so eager to stop Trump that theyā€™re lining up behind the one remaining candidate whoā€™s even worse.

5 Likes

Am I the only person thinking this is code for: we promise, if you nominate one of these two instead of the Earl of Cheetos, weā€™ll put the other on the ticket as VP?

8 Likes

The 2008 DNC scenario ā€“ where an established party elite loses to a previously unknown Junior Senator based on combination of charisma and general dissatisfaction with the party ā€“ would be considered a major bug, not a feature in the GOP.

The GOP is set up to winnow the field down to a few party creatures with proven track records and loyalty. Thereā€™s a ladder, and when you get to the top you get a crack at the presidency. (Or youā€™re completely unelectable like Strom Thurman and instead ascend straight to lichdom. Whichever.)

Trump is doing well because the entire field this time around is also-rans, fringe candidates, and general chaff. There is no elder elite who can claim authority and run with it.

4 Likes

Code is meant to be hard for outsiders to decipher. There is no such guile here. This is as blatant a signal as you can send the based that itā€™s time for this nonsense to stop.

1 Like

Hey, JIm Webb didnā€™t get this far. The guyā€™s a Republican who got left behind by the Republican partyā€™s hard shift to the right*. To pretend that Hillary is as bad as even some of the other Democratic candidates, much less the raving loonies on the right, is to diminish just how horrible the Republican party is.

*Here he stands up for white privilege and Andrew Jackson:

5 Likes

Canā€™t we distinguish between being a Christian and believing utter nonsense despite abundant evidence to the contrary?

If not, then no - Christians (and the rest of the superstitious, misogynist, bronze-age nutbars) cannot be qualified to run nations in the present.

Religious organizations can do wonderful things as community hubs and coordinators of charitable action. Those things could be accomplished equally well without indoctrinating children and oppressing women.

2 Likes

I have no reliable test for belief, but maybe Trump will share his Muslim faith-detector (used to expel and exclude them from Americaā€™s borders) and we can mod it to detect Christianity.

ā€œTrueā€ faith or no, Iā€™m happy to disqualify anybody who claims to believe bullshit, because believing nonsense is not a great quality for decision makers.

2 Likes

Love how heā€™s offended by Jackson being called a monster for his genocide, since The Trail of Tears was all just one big accident, so it wasnā€™t a completely intentional genocideā€¦ Somehow the fact that Jefferson called him ā€œa dangerous man,ā€ and Quincy Adams termed him a ā€œbarbarian,ā€ show that he was a hero because they were ā€œelites,ā€ which somehow isnā€™t offensive to his delicate sensibilities. Obviously criticizing the guy who was perpetrator of the Trail of Tears and other atrocities against Native Americans (and literally murdered people) is Political Correctness run amok.

8 Likes

Lindsay Graham.

Sure, heā€™s bloodthirsty, amoral and corrupt, but he does have a certain dark charm.

3 Likes

I certainly donā€™t think faith in a higher power is a prerequisite for the job, but we do theoretically live in a representative democracy. As long as most Americans have some kind of religious faith it makes sense that most of our leaders would too.

Iā€™m more concerned with what people do in the name of their faith. Jimmy Carter is a deacon but he worships the ā€œhelp the unfortunateā€ version of Jesus instead of the ā€œsmite the hereticsā€ version, so whatever inspires him to build those houses for poor folks is fine by me.

9 Likes

Personally, I believe that President Hillary Clinton will be an honored guest at Donald Trumpā€™s next wedding.

2 Likes
1 Like

One could make that argument about any religious belief that one has a prejudice against, yes.

If youā€™re going to bar from office anyone in the world with a belief in Something Greater Than Oneself, itā€™s going to be a very narrow field in elections.

3 Likes

I donā€™t care what sort of morality-inducing superstition my political leaders hold in private, as long as they donā€™t insist on inflicting them on the rest of us. Separation of church and state, etc.

7 Likes

My observation is that you apes we human beings - of which I am clearly one - form values and then make up reasons to justify them after. It makes more sense to think of people who build the houses vs people who do the smiting than as religious vs. non-religious.

If we go by actual rather than professed belief then I have a feeling that the vast majority of presidential candidates would still be qualified under this criterion.

6 Likes

I donā€™t mean to say that believers canā€™t do good things, in fact I was clear that religion accompanies all kinds of positive behaviour.

I just feel that leaders should be grounded in reality.

• If they think there is a magical something underlying the detectable, measurable universe, so be it.

• If they believe in an omnipotent and omniscient sky father or similar, then they shouldnā€™t be leading a country. If they lie about believing, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s any better

Bernie is the only one not claiming faith in the absurd.

2 Likes

I said believing contrary to abundant evidence (young Earth, Noahā€™s Ark, etc).

Argue against straw men all you like, but donā€™t put my name on them!