Republicans abandon Jordan; will try something else Monday

He no longer has the title of “Speaker Designate,” which is a fake title Republicans just made up last week.

11 Likes

Republicans are demanding Democrats “step up” and support a Republican “for the good of the country.”

Why don’t Republicans “step up” and support Hakeem Jeffries? It would only take five of them.

21 Likes

… based on 10 minutes of research

David Joyce

Annie Kuster
Susie Lee

Jared Golden
Mary Peltola
Marie Gluesenkamp Perez

8 Likes

Despite this year’s efforts, the fact is that Congress continues basically to operate on a three or three-and-one-half day week. There are usually no votes or other must-do activities on Monday or Friday and no real need to be in the Capitol or on the floor until midday on Tuesday. Members also push the leaders to get them out early enough on Thursday to catch planes back home.

all sorts of assumptions in there. And god knows the AEI would try to exploit such a change. I think state legislatures run a five day week when in session, and yet the impression I get is that partisans spend their time pushing horrible bills and running roughshod over any opposition.

4 Likes

abandoning jordan was the first good things the republicans have done since… well it has been so long i forget. that absolute piece of shit has no business in government, let alone being so close to the presidency – with the orange ghoul drooling over his shoulder telling him exactly how to think. i don’t think it is an exaggeration to say the entire nation has dodged a bullet here. and FU, gym.

8 Likes

I think you are supposed to remove the roof, then only give them bread and water.

14 Likes

Indeed, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again,

8 Likes

What, they didn’t want to go for 15 tries with Jordan? Too bad. That could have been amusing - especially if he continued to lose votes every time.

7 Likes

Have they tried electing the corpse of Richard Nixon? More ethical than McCarthy and better on television than Jordan.

7 Likes

One of my sons is going as the Futurama version of Spiro Agnew for Halloween and is working on making a Nixon-head-in-a-jar right now!

(Finding a jar that big meant buying a whole lot of pretzels at Costco.)

18 Likes

Jordan is down but not out. As a white guy, he is likely to fail upwards.

5 Likes

Then let’s hope someone invites him on a helicopter ride.

7 Likes

Meanwhile on CNN, House Republicans continue to blame Democrats for this mess.

I really wish a reporter would just step up and say, “so what you’re saying is if Hakeem Jeffries had been speaker and a Democrat had filed a motion to vacate that you’d vote in favor of him keeping his seat?” and then see what kind of bullshit respomse they come up with.

I’d put money on it starting with, “I’m so glad you asked this question” and then proceeding to say a lot of words without ever actually answering the question.

11 Likes

I wonder if the best move would be for a few Republicans to vote present and let Jeffries become Speaker. Then obstruct and don’t let anything get done. Then they can say, well, the Democrats got their choice for speaker and he couldn’t get anything done! Both sides, government broken, yadda yadda.

9 Likes

Maybe not. I would suggest Magic 8 Ball or bad input AI.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I dislike Scalise a lot, but he at least had the political sense to see that if he couldn’t get the votes when it was just the republicans in the room, he wouldn’t get them in the full chamber. What will happen next is either a moderate republican will offer more than could possibly delivered and be right back where McCarthy was, or the Koch’s et alia will drop a ton of money to whip the votes in line for their choice. I’m betting on the latter. (but that’s just like my opinion, man)

8 Likes

13 Likes

Thénardier for Speaker of the House!

2 Likes

West End Live Les Miserables GIF by Official London Theatre

5 Likes