As Jordan prepares for yet another vote, Republicans rage against Matt Gaetz (video)

Originally published at: As Jordan prepares for yet another vote, Republicans rage against Matt Gaetz (video) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

The Party of Law Grift and Order Chaos.

10 Likes

“We wouldn’t be in this situation if 8 Republicans and 208 Democrats didn’t vote to remove the Speaker.” - Mike Lawler

No, you wouldn’t be in this situation if those same 8 Republicans hadn’t insisted that McCarthy allow a rule that a single member of the House could call for a vote to remove the Speaker in exchange for supporting McCarthy. Stop trying to blame Democrats for any part of this mess. This is all on your party.

30 Likes

In a slightly less imperfect world, this would be the moment at which the Republicans finally got tired of the MAGA constituency and decided to stop giving them unlimited power.

In this world, I expect Jim Jordan will still be trying to get elected speaker in April.

That’s assuming, of course, that someone doesn’t persuade the hold-outs to concede “for the good of the party”, because Jordan’s not going away and perpetuating the lunatic fringe’s stranglehold over the political process is so very obviously in everyone’s best interests.

12 Likes

The party has made a point of “proving” that government isn’t the solution by engaging in deliberate sabotage of agencies and the legislative process. Apparently they’re so committed to this goal that they’re willing to make themselves look like complete clowns.

15 Likes

So close to a physical confrontation on the House floor. I wonder if any of them carry canes?

13 Likes

Don’t know if any are carrying canes, but plenty are packing pistoles - :gun:

8 Likes

I wonder how many of them are exercising their 2nd amendment rights in the house.

7 Likes

[Coca-Cola.gif]

5 Likes
15 Likes

hd reference GIF

15 Likes

‘Republicans rage against Matt Gaetz’

I’m okay with this - you’re a bit late to the party, and for all the wrong reasons, but pile on in guys.

11 Likes

Perhaps I could interest them in the Leopards Eating People’s Foreheads Party?

8 Likes

“Where I come from, as a veteran, if you’re going to blow a bridge, you better have another one to cross.”

Kelly’s Heroes: Oddball finds his Bridge - YouTube

8 Likes

Crapgame: Try making a DEAL !

Big Joe: What kind of DEAL ?

Crapgame: A DEAL , deal ! Maybe he’s a Republican. You know, “Business is business.”

7 Likes

I feel like one of the most important aspects of life in America is that we need to Make America Fail Again. That is, that there need to be consequences to losing. McCarthy had the single most embarrassing run as House speaker in the history of the country. Yet he’s still a player in this somehow. Gym Jordan, bad person aside, has never wrote any or got any legislation signed into law. EVER. He’s bad at his job, flat out. Why should he be speaker?

These people are still around because they fail and still succeed. That needs to stop.

8 Likes

Here we go again… Batten down the hatches, people…

Maybe we can stop pretending like we have some kind of meritocracy, when in reality what we have is a white supremacy patriarchy that rewards primarily white men for merely existing, and make a real run at having a society that rewards actual talent and supports all of us equally. That would clear a lot of this shit up, ending white patriarchy…

14 Likes

I wonder how many years it has been since any Republican voted for a Democratic nominee for Speaker of the House. Has that ever happened even once?

6 Likes

McCarthy is the one who is giving the nominating speech… so much eyeroll.

He’s making it about the “Democrat” caucus… because of course he is…

[ETA] Can I say that the applause for Jefferies seem much more enthusiastic than the clapping for Jordan?

Already a couple of votes for other republicans…

Someone just voted for McHenry (which is a first).

Here is the Guardian liveblog…

Another for McHenry…

8 Likes

I don’t know. I looked back at the last two times Pelosi was elected Speaker (2019 and 2021) and she didn’t get a single Republican vote. I haven’t had time to go further back. They’re all on Wikipedia if you want to find out. I just don’t have time today or I would.

6 Likes