Rescued octopus comes back a day later to chill with its rescuers

I don’t know about ‘normally’, but it’s my understanding that octopi can do well in very shallow water, and even get around out of the water in a pinch; Google “Inky the Octopus” for one documented example.

2 Likes

PBS Eons uploaded a video about cephalopod evolution just about a week ago. Fascinating stuff!

4 Likes

It’s true that octopuses are very smart for a creature related to a snail. And it’s scientifically very interesting that a creature which only lives for such a short time (I think a few years) spends so much energy on a brain.

However, if you look at it objectively, I think pigs are just as smart if not smarter. I used to live near an organic pig farm (the pigs were outside roaming a forest/meadow instead of in a barn) and the farmer needed to lock the doors/gates thoroughly because the pigs could open anything and they taught each other how to do it. They also recognized people. Lots of very smart behavior.

But as pigs are mammals we sort of expect them to be smart and we’re not really surprised when they do things a dog, for example, would do as well. When a snail does something smart it’s very spectacular!

All the same, I can’t really eat octopus anymore either, since I watched one playing in a tide pool once. But I guess it’s cultural (octopus is ‘exotic’ to me) because I have no problems eating bacon (though I do make sure it’s always from pigs who have roamed outside even though it’s 4x as expensive).

6 Likes

Squid doesn’t bother me at all, but octopus I won’t eat.

3 Likes

that isn’t yogurt…

1 Like

How do we verify that it is a he?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.