Researcher mapping Alcatraz prison island erosion terrified by ghost

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/18/researcher-mapping-alcatraz-prison-island-erosion-terrified-by-ghost.html

2 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

5 Likes

Land based sound over water at distance can play tricks like that.

11 Likes

As can bad dreams.

6 Likes

Huh, so the ghosts were moving around ghost furniture and playing a ghost piano? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the prison wasn’t known for its lively nightclub scene, and these things wouldn’t have been part of its past as a prison. I guess the only rational explanation here is that ghosts have recently opened up a ghost nightclub at the location. I wonder if they used a ghost moving service to get the ghost furniture onto Alcatraz…

10 Likes

They’re lying of course, but they have to get those clicks somehow.

During the tour they say that on New Year’s Eve you could hear the parties from San Francisco on the island so not a bad guess

3 Likes

Maybe it was echoes of his own snoring?

I’ve woken up, not knowing what woke me, because I’d stopped snoring, but in a large empty space, the sound would still be echoing.

A piano though, impressive!

3 Likes

I don’t snore often, but if I fall asleep in the car (not me driving, don’t worry), I will, probably because my head falls back at an odd angle. And when the snoring gets loud enough, it will wake me up. I know what it is every time, though, and it never fails to make me start laughing at the absurdity of waking myself up with my own snoring.

4 Likes

oh aye, and stomach noise. “ey! what was that eerie sound!?” [stomach answers with a loud ‘Grgrblgrgmml’] “…oh”

(borborygmus (n.) also borborygmi, “rumbling noise in the bowels,” 17c., from Latin borborigmus, from Greek borborygmos, from borboryzein “to have a rumbling in the bowels,” imitative)

2 Likes

The ghost rents are insane in ghost San Fransisco. They got the only place they could afford.

8 Likes

Oblig:

1 Like

I’m not a believer in ghost stories but there were definitely musical performances in Alcatraz’s D Block during its time as a prison, to say nothing of its time as a military base. They had an orchestra room and an inmate band, though I can’t find any information about whether they ever had a piano.

The famous breakout dramatized in Escape From Alcatraz was even partially facilitated by accordions.

Of course, it’s also possible that the guards turned a blind eye to the escape just so they wouldn’t have to hear the things anymore.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.