Respecting the MAGAs

They like the homicidal bitterness. When it’s applied to people they don’t like, anyway. That’s what makes them happy.

13 Likes

In the immortal words of Homer Jay Simpson: “It’s funny 'cause it’s true.”

2 Likes

Perenial hahahahahasobsobsob

3 Likes

If the MAGAs are going to insist I have to respect their beliefs based on insane paranoid fantasies, then they should respect my belief that they are insane paranoid fantabulists.

14 Likes

What you describe is the very definition of mental illness - they cannot see that they are in distress and have problems functioning in “social, work or family activities.” There is a functional definition of mental illness here:

On an individual level, it is sad. What gives me pause is how ready our media are to give them airtime, and fan the flames of their condition. So, there is illness at a mass level, as well as the personal. That’s why the rest of the world is giving America the side-eye right now. We are not well.

14 Likes

If US news networks didn’t rely on advertising – meaning they didn’t rely on constant attention and hype and huge dramatic “can’t miss stories” – then these folks wouldn’t get airtime, period. They’re not news, or at best, they’re the last segment of a news program, “And in our weird but true file, here’s some weirdos dying of thing that they claim isn’t real. Where do these folks come from? That’s it for me, see you tomorrow at 6:00 AM.”

Trump and MAGA have always been a sideshow attraction, a spectacle, a wreck on the side of the road that you slow down to look at but keep driving and forget about five minutes later.

10 Likes

[checks with other judges]
We’ll allow it.

7 Likes

You may have heard the joke “If covid caused dicks to drop off, then this pandemic would have been over after about six dicks”, well, aparently it causes erectile disfunction:

Something tells me this might increase mask use if it was more widely known…

18 Likes

I feel seen…and then purposefully misunderstood for the sake of a joke that many here seem likely to take seriously.

I think a large number of Trump voters (if not a majority) are intelligent, thoughtful people with valid, conservative attitudes, and few (if any) of the deplorable beliefs commonly associated with MAGAs and Trump die-hards.

I think our dysfunctional electoral process creates, then normalizes an us-vs-them two-party “system”, forcing them to select between voting for their beliefs and voting against deplorable Trumpisms and the associated, deplorable ideologies.

I think the treatment these intelligent conservatives get from being ridiculed and villified by liberals who group them along with the fewer (but more visible) media-baiting MAGAs further motivates them to retaliate against liberals instead of the “deplorable MAGA” subgroup.

I don’t think it’s necessary or even fruitful to try to empathize with or accomodate the die-hard, deplorable MAGAs. Backfire effect and all. Doing so would only further entrench their selected attitudes and beliefs.

But I still enjoyed the comic.

1 Like

there are no jokes in this comic

9 Likes

30 Likes

who voted for a racist, misogynistic demagogue who regularly broke the law and worked to subvert democracy. So they are also okay with all that in the highest office in the land. :woman_shrugging:

46 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

I have no need to add anything else.

34 Likes

If someone with conservative attitudes votes for Trump or a Trumpian candidate, they’re still voting for fascism, and if they were dupped into it, their purported intelligence is not much on display while their ability to ignore reality is. Turkeys who voted for Christmas still voted for Christmas despite every opportunity to understand the consequences.

35 Likes

If only smart people never did evil things. Stupid villains are ultimately a self correcting problem. And make for boring comics.

21 Likes

Name checks out

14 Likes

Something something goat fucking something something irony…

9 Likes

It’s funny horrifying because it’s true! All completely and totally - absurdly - true.

Yeah, but unfortunately they’re more likely to get other people sick and kill them than they are to die themselves, statistically speaking. That’s what really gets me mad.

9 Likes

What you espouse happened in 1930’s Germany, and led to the rise of Hitler.

26 Likes

You must be new here.

I worked with the people you described for the last 4 years. They are not as you describe. They will get zero fucks of consideration from me, because their atrociousness is well-documented by others and in my case from personal experience

17 Likes