Respecting the MAGAs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/18/respecting-the-magas.html

21 Likes

After more than four years of their garbage, I am done acknowledging or trying to understand the MAGAts.

41 Likes

so sad that there was nothing satirical in any of these statements, they are just aggregates of actual things said by the cult of MAGA

74 Likes

Yep, even the last part.

73 Likes

My previous response to that. I’m not on social media, but would love to see someone mock up a card for these folks to carry!

37 Likes

How uncivil of you, Ruben. Don’t you know it’s a time of healing and understanding and reaching out? / zentrum

16 Likes

When you realise that your MAGA beliefs have brought you to “No Respiration without Intubation!”

31 Likes

Based on a true story

46 Likes

17 Likes

Not to be too blunt about it, but if mask denial meant the 'rona would definitely kill you, there wouldn’t be a problem. The problem is that most of these people will walk away from it saying “I told you so”.

I’d kind of be fine with people fleeing into a deranged Lisa Frank fantasy world, IF – and it’s a big if – they would keep their fantasy separate from the rest of us. I mean, if you’ve decided to just believe whatever you feel like, could you not pick a “truth” that actually makes you happy, instead of one that makes you homicidally bitter towards me?

32 Likes

I suggest scrolling through the coronavirus topics, and check out reports of “recovered” patients still struggling with post-virus health problems (some with no cure) months later. The medical community is still dealing with a lot of unknowns when it comes to this virus, and the idea that not dying means they’re going to walk away unscathed is probably the second-worst lie this administration has spread regarding the pandemic. IMO, the worst lie was telling people kids wouldn’t be affected by it.

29 Likes

The problem isn’t only in USA.

A poll in Italy gave these results on getting a COVID shot.

Will wait so see if is working 42%
Will get one as soon as available 37%
No way 16%
Undecided 5%

There is a solution and you are going to wait if it’s going to work? If I were the legislator, because this disease il like polio, I’ll make the Covid-19 vaccine like the polio vaccine.
Or if this is sanitary dictatorship, i’ll make COVID cures not covered to national health insurance for people refusing vaccination. Or for USA allow insurance to don’t cover it under ACA.

11 Likes
19 Likes

No doubt there will some alt-right/fundamentalist “influencer” screaming that the Covid-19 Vaccine causes Homosexuality, or some other such hateful nonsense.

18 Likes

The virus is a hoax, and also God’s punishment for our sins. /s

21 Likes

The 2% death rate obscures the >15% serious complication rate of COVID (strokes, heart attacks, short and long term disability, respiratory problems, etc.). Death is, of course, understandably scary and make for great news, but it would be far more sobering if the nightly news reported complications, too:

“CDC reports 275,000 corona related deaths, 1.5 million* corona related strokes, 2 million corona related heart damage, and 3 million corona related lung damage. So far, 7 million people have been temporarily or permanently disabled by COVID-19.”

Deaths are scary, but not that scary, especially if the disease is not happening to your immediate group. Stroke, heart attacks and disability – that’s something everyone has experience with, either directly or in their immediate family/circle of friends. Sort of like someone in Minneapolis watching a news segment about a murder in St. Cloud. “Wow! A Murder! 90 minutes away!” vs. “Grandpa slipped on our icey front step and broke his hip.”

Of course, all a pointless exercise in “what if,” sadly.

*All numbers made up by me on the spot. I recall boing boing had a post that listed complication rates for infected patients, but for the life of me can’t locate it.

16 Likes

Favorite line from the article:

“These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated.”

Intubation is no fun. Imagine if H. R. Giger designed a dildo for the xenomorph, then shoved it down your throat.

18 Likes

Not quite, but close:

26 Likes

One side effect of the Trump-Virus has been eye-strained caused by too much eye-rolling.

22 Likes

it’s not boingboing, but it’s almost as good a source:

24 Likes