“Responsible Gun Ownership”

I would imagine people wanting universal open carry are nothing but idiots.

5 Likes
10 Likes

Oh, I’m almost positive there is a rational, innocent explanation for this.
Maybe he just couldn’t find a flag so he brought the next best thing to wave around or something.

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Opinion Revised ruling on guns for domestic offenders just makes things worse --Ruth Marcus

Last month, the federal appeals court issued a terrible Second Amendment ruling, striking down the federal law that prohibits people under domestic violence restraining orders from having guns. The Fifth Circuit had previously upheld the law, but said it was compelled to change course by a 2022 Supreme Court ruling that requires judges to search for historical analogues to modern gun restrictions.

Now, the appellate panel has given itself a do-over, releasing a new decision that manages to make matters even worse. In particular, the ruling includes an expanded concurrence from Judge James C. Ho that questions the fairness and wisdom of the law, known as Section 922(g)(8).

5 Likes

Cross post because it belongs in here too:

10 Likes

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

8 Likes

Not nearly enough time

16 Likes

It’s a start. Now do the Rittenhouses.

18 Likes
9 Likes

My Governor is constantly a target, I hope no one is ever able to follow thru.

The case involves a 30-year-old Sebawaing resident named Randall Robert Berka II, whose mother bought him three long guns and a pistol over the last year despite his history of mental illness. He was involuntarily committed for mental health treatment in 2012 and declared legally incapacitated by the state of Michigan, which prohibited him from owning a gun, according to the criminal complaint.

The mother, however, eventually feared her son’s mental health treatment was not working and grew scared of him — so much so that she cooperated with the FBI in securing criminal charges against her son this week, authorities said.

11 Likes

The case involves a 30-year-old Sebawaing resident named Randall Robert Berka II, whose mother bought him three long guns and a pistol over the last year despite his history of mental illness. He was involuntarily committed for mental health treatment in 2012 and declared legally incapacitated by the state of Michigan, which prohibited him from owning a gun, according to the criminal complaint.

Berka II, who was arrested on Thursday at his home and charged with illegally possessing firearms

Wait. He’s not supposed to own guns. So the mom buys her son four guns? And when she realizes that maybe he’d go after her, she reaches out to FBI and they arrest him for illegally owning guns that his mother bought for him?

I’m sure that the mother will face some consequences for buying weapons for someone who isn’t legally allowed to own guns.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to comment on whether charges would be brought against the mother.

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

14 Likes

Also…the marijuana angle? :man_shrugging:

The Blacklist GIF by NBC

6 Likes

12 Likes

In Royal Oak Michigan this is planned for later today…

A group called the Grand New Party said in a news release that its members will “demonstrate against grooming and the sexualization of children.” The news release asks members to “please show up with signs, be polite but firm, and stand peacefully against this child-grooming agenda.”

If I finish a job early I may take a road trip to meet up with a couple freinds including our daughter who live right down the street to make sure there are more actual peaceful protestors than aholes.

I suspect it’s too cold for any meaningful turnout by those aholes.

10 Likes

Look at that “real” man… hiding behind a woman!

13 Likes

So alpha!

10 Likes

This undermines the whole line of “responsible gun owners shouldn’t be punished for the actions of criminals” that 2A advocates often spout.

First, I would bet $100 that, up until this moment, that woman would have been considered a “responsible gun owner” by her peers. And half of them would still consider her a “responsible gun owner” because she brandished her firearm “in fear of her life.” Remember when such distinguished gentlemen posted as such to defend Kyle Rittenhouse?

Second, the argument that new gun control laws aren’t needed, because there are already laws on the books that make dangerous uses of firearms illegal. Well, here ya go. She’s broken a half dozen gun laws, and wasn’t arrested. 2A advocates will counter with, “There you go - more gun laws won’t stop illegal use if they aren’t enforced!” My rebuttal is that the laws that gun control advocates are proposing attack this kind of thing at the source by going after the point of sale. Things like closing loopholes in registration and permitting, penalizing straw man purchases explicitly, and requiring extensive firearm training prior to purchase: those kinds of laws reduce availability to people who misuse guns without meaningfully impacting “responsible gun owners.”

ETA: I had an afterthought on the above. This is a great scenario for mandated firearm insurance. The people who were menaced by this woman could make claims against her firearm insurance for harm, even if law enforcement failed to do their jobs.

Finally, my repeating refrain: the 2nd Amendment is murdering the 1st. This “responsible gun owner” used their firearm to suppress free speech.

15 Likes
12 Likes