Revered far-right representative resigns amid drunken sex scandal with young aide

When you order coke and want a coke, do you say, “I’d like a coke coke, please?”

3 Likes

I have heard:

“I’d like a coke”
“What kind?”
“Coke”

So, yes.

10 Likes

What @sqlrob said. It has this weird dual status as both a genericized brand name like kleenex and a proper brand name. Which way you are using it can usually be inferred by context. Language is weird.

ETA: Also, if you know you want a Coke specifically, you can bypass the question by asking for a Coca-Cola, which, because Texas, usually sounds like “Co-Cola”.

11 Likes

In the GOP, anything that follows “praying for” means nothing, other than praying, will be done. They don’t actually expect justice-from-on-high to take place.

8 Likes

I think they are counting on Justice not happening.

Still, I hope he is blighted by rainbows.

6 Likes

is praying for a biblical response for all those involved,"

What does this mean? “A biblical response”? (Sorry, haven’t yet read thread. Apology if already asked and answered.)

4 Likes

Thanks for teaching me the lingo :smiley: Or shall I say, “Thangkew!” ↞ That’s the extent of the Texan I speak, and a Texan commended my pronunciation :wink:

5 Likes

In New Orleans, “coke” is just the generic word. I don’t think pepsi is allowed anywhere, but a Sprite is a coke, for instance.
I’ve only heard “coke coke” used at the neighborhood liquor store where I grew up; one could buy “coke” or “coke coke”. “Coke coke” was Coca Cola; coke was not another type of soft drink though (I still have no clue what the hell either “pop” or “soda” are but it wasn’t those either)

3 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess that means everyone is supposed to forgive this poor man who is only human, after all, and move on. Of course, that response is reserved only for rich, straight, white, Christian men. Everyone else burns in hell for eternity.

6 Likes

Many possibilities have been mentioned. I immediately thought of Sodom and Gomorrah, but I don’t think that’s what the Xtians meant.

That’s closer, I’m sure.

7 Likes

Point taken but my point is that “coke” could be short for “cocaine” while “Coke” means Coca Cola (or, if you’re in some parts of the US, any soda). The point isn’t which brand of soda he offered her, but whether the “coke” he offered her was cocaine or soda.

They kicked him out, even after he resigned. Unanimous vote. So weird to feel positively about my state legislature

Although Slaton resigned Monday, unless expelled he was entitled to his House salary and per diem, Murr said. Until voters elect a replacement, Slaton also would have continued to sit on assigned committees and count toward establishing a working quorum of the House.

8 Likes

Oh. I didn’t even think about that kind of coke.

4 Likes

Something, something, Pemberton’s original recipe for his invigorating tonic.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.