Review—Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS!)

Well, your entire theory is a bit flimsy because there’s a whole bunch of Force abilities you weren’t aware of.

You mean because they didn’t explain them in the movie?
That’s the problem here, the movie needs to stand on its own. Do I really need to know everything about the EU just to suspend my disbelief?

5 Likes

You may want used the following in your future posts:

effort strength violence arm brunt clout coercion compulsion conscription draft duress dynamism enforcement exaction extortion fury horsepower impact impetus impulse might momentum muscle pain
5 Likes

Don’t listen to the EU nonsense.

According to the Mouse (as paraphrased by Wookieepedia:)

the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film. Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series and all novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole. Characters under the Legends banner are still available for use as needed, even if events concerning them are no longer canon.

2 Likes

Don’t listen to the EU nonsense

Wasn’t planning to. :stuck_out_tongue:

EU is shit. I’m just going to say it. Low brow, badly written pap to milk a fanboy audience for money.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Review—Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS!):

Yoda’s situation is different. An untrained Force-sensitive child would be subconsciously making things float in the air or shoving people against walls with an invisible hand when they have fits of anger.

For a Jedi master like Yoda in full control of his abilities, it made sense to flee to a Force-heavy planet with no signs of civilization. Hiding a Force-sensitive kid in a place like Dagobah would ensure that they’re never detected but… Well, they’d die. On a place like Jakku or Tatooine, there’s still civilization. You can find shelter, food, and work along with a low chance of Force abilities manifesting in a powerful way.

3 Likes

Nope. Totally disagree. Episodes 7-9 were pre-planned at a trilogy so the trilogy needs to stand on its own. Even in the original trilogy, A New Hope was the introduction. All the exposition happened in Empire Strikes Back and everything in Return of the Jedi was focused on resolving the conflicts and tying up all the loose ends.

Besides which, everything I explained is just seasoning. You don’t need to the EU to tell you that Jedi can do a lot of things with the Force. Episodes 4-6 showed that the Force can be used in very mystical ways (sensing massive loss of life, prophecy, “feeling” another Force user’s presence) while Episodes 1-3 demonstrated that the Force can also be used for more pragmatic abilities (Force Speed, Force Jump, etc).

Direct quote from Yoda in Empire Strikes Back:

For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

Through which anyone can easily infer that channeling the Force also depends on drawing it from other living sources.

All it takes is a little bit of reading between the lines. At this point, Star Wars is always going to be a series that rewards fandom. That isn’t a bad thing.

2 Likes

I am wondering what the state of trade and tariff agreements are between these planets so many years later!

4 Likes

Who shot first?

1 Like

Nope. That’s only what’s considered canon for now. Rakata Prime is not found in any of the films, the telvision shows, or the post-A New Dawn novels.

And yet, they included it in the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary, which made it canon.

C’mon, dude. If you want to get into a dick-swinging contest about canon, at least do more than a cursory Google search. It’s common knowledge in Star Wars forums that any Legends stuff that doesn’t directly contradict existing canon can be approved or partially approved by the whims of the executive board. It says so right there in the last sentence of the statement you quoted.

Another example? A lot of Han Solo’s history in the Legends material made it over to canon with the publishing of Ultimate Star Wars and Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, both published in September 2015. Here’s the Legends stuff about Han that is now canon:

• He was born on Corellia and orphaned at a young age
  • He rescued Chewie from prison and the two became inseparable from that point after the wookiee invoked a life debt (this one’s a partial approval – in the Legends stuff, Han saves Chewie from slavery)
  • Han and Chewie became infamous for double-crossing their smuggler contractors

As for stuff that didn’t make it in, Jacen and Jaina Solo are obviously non-canon now that Kylo Ren was revealed to be Ben Solo.

5 Likes

That depends on what part of the EU you’re looking at. There’s a truly ridiculous number of books, comics, etc out there, and a great deal of it is quite literally junior-level reading. And the EU includes things like the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, the middle-finger-to-the-fans Yuuzhan Vong, and Triclops, the mutant son of Palpatine. It’s junk like that that forced Lucasfilm to wipe the slate clean.

But as metsuken points out, they made it clear that they can pick-and-choose from the EU anytime they like. The Clone Wars show made the 501st Legion canon, as well as the Nightsisters; the Rebels show recently made the Interdictor’s gravity well projectors canon, which came out of the Zahn novels (which are still the best books to come out of the EU, and worthwhile reading). Like the prequels, the EU isn’t very good as storytelling, but as a source of worldbuilding ideas, it’s terrific.

6 Likes

Palpatine on a Pogo Stick, did you read my question?

Unless you are Lucas, it doesn’t matter what you think because it isn’t canon. And if you are Lucas, I will beat the force out of you for destroying all notion of “canon” for your ruinous re-creation of the first fucking film.

2 Likes

Jacen and Jaina were made from Ben’s cells in the Emperor’s cloning facility. A desperate little birdie put this post-it on my glasses. And I don’t even wear glasses!

2 Likes

Yes, and I specifically chose not to reply to you because every single one of your posts on this thread is about how much you hate Star Wars. And not only that, you completely misinterpreted what I meant when I said that Star Wars is always going to be a franchise that rewards fandom. The fact that you felt entitled to a response from me just because you replied to me speaks volumes about the type of discussion you want to have.

Hint: It certainly won’t be a productive one.

There wasn’t a single mention of midi-chlorians in Force Awakens and the Force was back to being a wholly spiritual, religious concept instead of justifying it with a flimsy scientific angle.

If I had to play armchair general, my theory is that George Lucas introduced midi-chlorians because he was afraid kids wouldn’t understand just how truly gifted Anakin was. By giving Qui-Gon Jinn a plot device that acted as a Z scouter, he essentially created Jedi trading cards. Even a five-year-old can understand that Anakin is a big deal when he has 27,700 midi-chlorians and Yoda only has 17,700.

I don’t expect midi-chlorians to ever make a return in the new trilogy. It’ll probably be a soft, implied retcon. Maybe given enough time, they might even remake the prequels themselves and expunge midi-chlorians from canon altogether.

6 Likes

If you’re referring to the new movie, you know Lucas had zero (zilch, nada) to do with it, right?

2 Likes

Consider the idea that ships themselves are droids, so flying a ship is more akin to riding a horse. A lot of the manoeuvres are performed by a computer faithfully following the lead of the pilot.

Yeah, that seemed like a fair handicap. Plus Finn was trained from birth to be a soldier, so it’s not THAT surprising he could put up at least a little fight.

The real question is why are all the OTHER stormtroopers such sucky warriors?

6 Likes

Perhaps not the ships themselves, but the astromech droids are assisting the flight. Which explains the TIE fighters being more likely to crash into obstacles, while a ship as large as the Millennium Falcon probably has an astromech droid’s flying skills built in.

The one way the midichlorians could come back is to discount them. “The Jedi had grown stale in their understanding of the Force; they thought you could measure it scientifically, by counting midichlorians. They were wrong of course, and it blinded them to the real threat.”

5 Likes

Anyone else, when Kylo had his first dehelmeting, wanted to yell
#Hay!! That’s Steve Coogan!

2 Likes