Review—Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS!)

Christ.

Did anyone else think Daniel craigs performance stole the show?

7 Likes

Appropos: R2-D2’s arc in The Force Awakens explained.

Was that explanation in the movie? I’d buy it.

Yeah sorry feeling grumpy today. Edited my post. When I read your response again, I realized it actually wasn’t that hostile.

1 Like

I know, I remember liking the Thrawn Trilogy when I was a teen, but everything outside of C canon (video games!) has been disappointing.

And even then I’ll grant you that C-Canon is only good because flying a Tie Fighter/X Wing/Whatever or wielding a lightsaber “personally” is amazing in your head already. It’s like the auto-nostalgia generation of Adventure Time…

1 Like

So, like a murder of crows or a Parliament of owls, is the proper terminology a Wank of Jedi?

3 Likes

I think that’s the collective noun for a group of fans. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a Parliament of Funk!

3 Likes

I don’t know, I vaguely remember the charm of KOTOR 1+2 as being as much about the setting and mood as about the fighting. I’m not sure if I should revisit them, though.

1 Like

KotOR 1 was classic bioware/Black Isle + lightsabers. I credit its success to running off in a separate direction than the rest of the Legends era stuff.

1 Like

KOTOR was setting only for me, the fighting just a means to get to more settings.

Jedi Knight 2 had excellent Star Wars fighting.

1 Like

A static shot (evoking the final shots of Ep 4, 5, and 6) of Luke watching the Falcon come down out of the sky would have been a better choice IMO.

1 Like

Mr Plinkett?!

I don’t think we’ll get a Plinkett review soon (or perhaps ever), but the Half In The Bag for it (Episode 100!) is out now.

1 Like

Bonus trivia about that mind control scene. That was Daniel Craig in the stormtrooper costume.

4 Likes

My friend Bill Allings the Bad Buddhist, I am referring of course to the fact that @metsuken wants to get into a “dick-swinging” contest about “canon.” Leaving aside the casual machismo of that framing, we are left to discuss what is, and what is not, Canon.

Given that metsfan has already asserted HIMSELF as an arbiter of Canon on this thread, I think we should agree on a definition of Canon.

##On Canon

Canon, I think we can agree, comes from the Catholic Canon Law, in which a bunch of fallible people decide what is true religious doctrine, and what can be disregarded as heresy.

It’s worth noting, right upfront, that Star Wars is not a religion. It’s a great fucking movie that started a great fucking franchise and has dominated popular culture like no other. But it’s NOT religion and it’s not-very-fun when someone who is not infallible asserts they can dictate what any other fan of this a 40-year-old hokey religion should believe.

In Catholic Doctrine, the only person immune from Fallibility is The Pope. I hope we can agree that if there was a Church of the Latter Day Wars of the Stars, that one of the first Popes, if not THE FIRST, would be George Lucas.

So, what George Lucas did witness in the battle of Greedo vs. Solo is of central importance.

For if there are differing accounts of what Pope Lucas witnessed in the VERY FIRST MOVIE, then that might create a schism in the force.

##On Zeal

It’s referential, but not just towards itself.

Yo dawg, I hear you like self-referential jokes…

##On Fandom

Hey man, that’s unfair. I admit the Indiana Jones reference could be expected, but I’m pretty proud of working in an Alice’s Restaurant joke in this thread.

More seriously, saying that I hate Star Wars is also presumptive and inaccurate. I may not love it the same exact way that you love it, but I fucking love it and you can’t deny me of that.

Trying to police a fandom, and act as sole Papal arbiter of a fanscape, is uncool.

Yes, yes. You are the TRUE FAN and anyone else is inferior.

##On Retcons

Aren’t Retcons the exact opposite of Canon?

Rhetorical question, of course they are.

Then why should you be the only one to speak for what is Canon and what is Retcon?

##On Dick-Swinging

You still didn’t answer the question: Who Shot First? You might want to canonize Han Solo but I won’t follow because he was no saint.

I feel sad that you are so SRS BUSINESS about this fiction that we can’t even discuss whether Han shot first.

##TL: DR

While I will love Star Wars until the day I die, it has inherent contradictions introduced by it’s creator.

Thus, asserting that you will win a dick-swinging contest against another fan is…dickish.

7 Likes

Indeed. That is the height of dickishness.

Do we have to have a discussion? I mean, c’mon! Han. Shot. First.

I did like the nod in TFA to him meaning a mercenary prick, when he punched out the thug and then, for good measure, tossed him to the Rathtar to keep it busy. :wink:

5 Likes

There was only one line missing:

We’re gonna need a bigger ship.

5 Likes

I’ve wondered if Han and Leia are actually Kylo Ren’s adoptive parents… and Kylo and Rey are both Luke’s children, brother and sister.

Only Luke would have originally named Kylo Ren “Ben.” Neither Han nor Leia would have had any motive for that name. True, no? I think that’s a serious giveaway.

Their mother would still be unknown, but I’m seriously thinking we have another pair of Force siblings here.

1 Like