Rian Johnson hates that Glass Onion has to include Knives Out in the title

but they taste so good!!

10 Likes

I was actually just saying this to someone. The precedent is Indiana Jones. The first film didn’t have his name and the second film didn’t feel the need to includes “raiders” in the title.

3 Likes

I had a friend ask me if she’d be able to follow the new movie without having seen Knives Out so the subtitle might even be working against people watching it.

12 Likes

The twist there is that they’ve retroactively retitled the original “Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark” in various media releases.

6 Likes

Wednesday is a whodunit.

4 Likes

Glass Out.
It will be a Russian defenstration mystery where the culprit will be known from the start.

Lucky he’s not Benoit Poirot (or Hercules Blanc).

7 Likes

well it was more memorable than “henry junior jones and the raiders of the lost ark” :cat2:

8 Likes

Yes. I was wondering if Rian would be fine if they advertised it as “A Benoit Blanc Mystery”.

2 Likes

‘No, not “ben-oyt”, it’s more like “ben-wa”. You’ve heard of “ben wa balls”, haven’t you?’
‘Ye­— no.’

6 Likes

Knives Out: This Time It’s Personal.

3 Likes
7 Likes

I don’t know about that.
I think the Divergent series is better that then Hunger Games, but they didn’t do themselves any favors by prioritizing the rest of the films in the Divergent lineage with their specific titles (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant).

An Archer Benoit Blanc parody episode would be gold. Hearing H. Jon Benjamin honk his way through that mint julep accent would, for want of a better word, kill.

7 Likes

They could take a page out of the video games handbook, and re-release the first movie with one additional, inconsequential scene, and rename it Knives Out: A Knives Out Mystery: Movie of the Year edition.

3 Likes

I doubt it. The “glass onion” is kind of intrinsic to the satire of the tech/finance oligarchs and their layers of obfustication hiding the fact that at the centre of it all there is nothing there. That actually he is genuinely stupid. Just rich and people assume and fill in the gaps around rich people to make them look clever. When in reality ordinary people having ordinary struggles are doing more challenging things every day.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Well yeah, not directly/entirely, Norton did also dress up in flashbacks as Tom Cruise in Magnolia and Steve Jobs so we get the whole PUA/billionaire oligarch/techbro thing rather than just one person.

4 Likes

I lament the Trapper Keeper student scrawl logo lettering. Where’s the story behind why that sucks so much? The Knives Out logotype is pretty wonky, too. I’m guessing this new one’s drawn by whoever did the drawings of the characters in the credits. I’ll have to read the crawl more carefully, to see if they’re listed.

Like how Asimov wanted to call the eventual fourth Foundation book “lightning rod” but the publisher wanted “Foundation” in the title. I get it man, I’ll just call the movie Glass Onion anyway.

1 Like

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Cinema Wins explains it pretty well for those who don’t get it.