Rian Johnson hates that Glass Onion has to include Knives Out in the title

Originally published at: Rian Johnson hates that Glass Onion has to include Knives Out in the title | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Will the next one have “A Knives Onion Mystery” as its subtitle?

I would pay to see that.

12 Likes

I’ve got to agree with Rian; it seriously dumbs it down. The internet will reveal the connection and give it all the linkage PR it needs; no need for hand-holding.

17 Likes

“Glasses out!”

6 Likes

not sure this matters either way in the slightest. alot of emotional sturm und drang amounting to pure onanistic self flagellation.

1 Like

Are you talking about the movie itself or the title here?

2 Likes

Nobody needs to hear that much about your social life, buddy.

19 Likes

From this point on, they can be “A Benoit Blanc mystery.”

24 Likes

Nah, too many people would mispronounce Benoit.

4 Likes

I would have advised the marketing department to title the sequels “After Knives Out,” “Another Knife Out,” “Shadow of Knives Out,” “Knives Out Goes Home,” and “Song of Knives Out.”

17 Likes

Ooh. This reminds me that there’s a Thin Man marathon on TCM New Year’s Eve :champagne:

10 Likes

It will somewhat jump the shark when Benoit Blanc gets a child and the focus is less on his carefree socialite lifestyle but will still be an enjoyable watch

9 Likes

Knives Strikes Back
Return of the Knives
The Last Onion Knife
Raiders of the Lost Onion

12 Likes

Did you mean son?
Either way, Song of Knives Out is an excellent title.

I do agree with Rian, though. The knives out addition is unneccessary.
Daniel Craig has just completed 5 James Bond films, all with different titles.
Not one of them felt the need to include ‘a 007 mystery’.

9 Likes

The whole list is a reference

10 Likes

Ah, missed that, thank you.

Nicely done, @xkot

6 Likes

Thanks! FWIW, I agree with you and Rian that there’s no need for a “Knives Out” subtitle. People who enjoyed the first movie will find the second (and subsequent).

And I for one would love to see a Bond movie that justified the “A 007 Mystery” subtitle!

6 Likes

Chives Out

12 Likes

Sounds like a real tear-jerker.

12 Likes

I quite liked Glass Onion, but I wouldn’t put it past Mr. Johnson to brazenly and deliberately shoot himself in the foot next time, just because he can.

“I would be worried if everybody across the board was like ‘yeah, it was a good movie’. It’s much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you who are really really excited about it. Then there are other people who walk out literally saying ‘it’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen.’ Having those two extremes is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.” (2003)

source

A grand champion emerged from the discourse:
https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1227354801085779969

5 Likes