Trailer for Rian Johnson's new Benoit Blanc detective film looks great

Originally published at: Trailer for Rian Johnson's new Benoit Blanc detective film looks great | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Knives Out was a lot of fun. I have high hopes about this one, too

10 Likes

I’d guess Johnson cut his teeth in this genre with Brick, one of my favorite movies.

Often hilarious in its own way, with great dialogue!

11 Likes

Loved Knives Out. It’s true that the “ensemble cast whodunnit detective story” isn’t exactly breaking new ground narratively speaking but sometimes the classic formulas are classics for a reason.

10 Likes

Knives Out was great; Craig’s forced Southern accent was not.

Still, I’ll check this next entry out…

8 Likes

I think Knives Out is fun because it subverts the genre conventions at every turn. Hopefully this sequel can pull that off again.

5 Likes

Katharyn Hahn is the fucking best…

1 Like

I loved that film. Buffy meets the Maltese Falcon vibe off it. I was wondering where he disappeared to until recently enough (either his films didn’t really play here or I disappeared into parenthood/mixture of both). Must watch it again.

I will of course rewatch Knives Out before watching this.

1 Like

OK, I was previously unaware of this one. Adding to queue…

2 Likes

“Ransom, I say, RANSOM! I believe I know whodunnit!”

5 Likes

The Brothers Bloom and Looper are good too!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to this. Looks to have a great cast, too.
I was wondering about the name as Glass Onion is one of my all time favorite Beatles songs.
Read this today:

According to Johnson, Blanc’s penchant for bombast is partly to thank for the film’s title, which pays homage to the 1968 Beatles song of the same name. “I’m always fishing for something fun that Blanc can grab onto as an overwrought metaphor that he can beat to death,” he says. “This is all in plain sight from the very start. So, the idea of glass came to me, something that’s clear. I’ll be very honest. I literally got out my iPhone and searched my music library with the word glass . “There’s got to be some good glass songs.” I was like, “Oh, is it a glass fortress? Is it a glass castle? Is it a glass man?” The first thing that came up, because I’m a huge Beatles fan, is ‘Glass Onion.’”

2 Likes

It certainly worked to strong effect for the set design in the first film.

4 Likes

That was my complaint, why the fuck did he need that stupid accent?

Everybody was great but that was just dumb.

2 Likes

Still not as goofy as Tom Hanks’ Foghorn Leghorn impression in The Ladykillers.

I think sometimes high-profile actors just take roles like this because the directors are willing to let them do something silly instead of striving to make a work of serious cinematic art.

1 Like

I gave him a pass on that because he was essentially playing a cartoon villain. But yeah, similarly silly.

Same for me in Knives Out. Yes, Craig’s accent was ridiculous, as was the character he was playing, but every other character struck me as cartoonishly over the top too. Which was fine for a movie that’s making fun of and playing around with those kinds of movies. I thought Craig and that accent fit right in.

10 Likes

I loved the running gag with all the spoiled rich family members talking about how close they were to the patriarch’s nurse Marta but none of them could even be bothered to learn what country her family was from (variously describing her as being from Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay or Brazil).

7 Likes

It was almost as if he was directed to do an accent that someone who was bad at doing accents would do. Which would track with a recent trend as displayed in Moonknight and Don’t Worry Darling except there was no payoff in Knives Out… just a bad accent. Perhaps it will be revealed in this film that Blanc is the actual killer who has adopted the persona of a southern detective in order to evade suspicion. Or maybe Daniel Craig just doesn’t do accents well.

ETA: But yeah, Knives Out was so good I’ll watch it anyway.

1 Like

I saw a thing when The Last Jedi came out:

“I would be worried if everybody across the board was like ‘yeah, it was a good movie’. It’s much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you who are really really excited about it. Then there are other people who walk out literally saying ‘it’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen.’ Having those two extremes is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.” (2003)

So it was quite astonishing indeed when Knives Out turned out to be so abundantly pleasing.

Perhaps they can still go with “Uncle Benoit Who Can Recall His Past Knives” if there’s another installment.