Rich people in Bristol install anti-bird spikes in trees to keep shit off their cars, rendering trees "literally uninhabitable" by local wildlife

1. It almost looks like icicles.

2. You can’t put it on the smaller branches.

3. Wouldn’t building covered car ports be easier and look less stupid?

10 Likes

Tyres for the larger Audis and BMWs are typically more expensive than the average. The inconvenience caused and the karma/justice would be worth a lot, too.

Also, if there is no Tree Protection Order (I assume there is not, or else the spikes would not be allowed) why not just trim a few overhanging boughs? And do they know that trees grow and even very small twigs can support a pigeon or two.

2 Likes

Someone on Imgur went to China and says, in “Ho Hai Park: they hung birds from trees in cages so they would tweet and drown out the city noises.”

10 Likes

Your wife objects to driving a dirty car but you refuse her the water she needs to clean it? Or she expects you to clean it for her and you demur? :wink:

3 Likes

Of course I’m exaggerating and wouldn’t do such a thing. Merely pointing out that more than just rich brats consider this a nuisance.

is not something my wife responds to well :wink:

6 Likes

We put these up under our porch roof to try to keep the robins from nesting there; our dogs have eaten at least one fledgling every year because the robins aren’t very cautious in their nest siting. It worked on the robins (sort of, after a doomed attempt to nest on some shelves). But now we have 5 nests of a large, squabbling extended family of invasive sparrows who think that the bird-be-gone is the perfect supportive framework for their nests. I’m not sure what to do about them as they are considered a pest that crowds out other birds, but I’d feel bad about ripping out their nests. I wouldn’t recommend the product!

3 Likes

A 4 yr old child of a neighbour (neighbour being a realtor manager) approached me one day as I return home and announced his father was putting chemicals on their lawn so it would burn out cats tongue when its cleans itself. I yell over to Mike and ask why he was doing that. He explained our cat was constantly pooping behind his BBQ on his wooden deck. I explained to Mike that cats bury their poop and its likely raccoons pooping behind his BBQ as they lick the grease from its frame. And I asked him if he was concerned for his 2 young children ( ages 2 and 4) who play on the lawn in the back yard and will get the chemical on their hands and then get the chemical in their mouths. He didn’t reply. His wife divorced him a few years later, probably from a constant stream of poorly thought out schemes / plans.

25 Likes

Unfortunately, they are just lightweight plastic.

1 Like

I had paint damage caused by an idiot in a car park who was unable to get his SUV into the allotted space.
The repair cost about the same as a tyre.

1 Like

You do know if you really want to protect your car you could put it in a garage.

6 Likes

Not everyone has a garage.

4 Likes

The most recent best practices for lawns and leaves out of Cornell is to mow the leaves into the lawn with a mulching mower.

7 Likes

They’re only “rich”, not rich.

10 Likes

It’s a sex crime, if you get caught doing it.

:wink:

But seriously though… I can’t even fathom people who are rich enough to have spikes installed in all their local trees, but aren’t smart enough to pay for enclosed parking lots/garages.

11 Likes

Rich and stupid are sadly not mutually exclusive.

4 Likes

They really should be, though; the world might be a better place.

4 Likes

I am not rich. I simply choose to live somewhere convenient, with good services and house prices such that I can afford a decent sized garage.
People who live in Clifton often do so for the postcode, and so they won’t have to live next to ordinary people.

5 Likes

I’m not so sure about that, I think it provides a certain (albeit lately insufficient) balancing effect.

1 Like

Hmm, hmm, ordinary vs stupid, which should I live next to and be associated with, decisions, decisions! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

IKR?
I had just one garage sale and that sucker was gone!

10 Likes