Rich people in Bristol install anti-bird spikes in trees to keep shit off their cars, rendering trees "literally uninhabitable" by local wildlife

We’ll take it!

5 Likes

How’s about a fucking $30.00 car cover instead of trashing the trees?

16 Likes

Not all places are as extravagantly wasteful as the US. Without defending the spikes in trees (which is just hatefully stupid, in any number of ways) sections in Clifton, Bristol aren’t large enough for a garage. Have a noodle around in G-Maps to get a sense of the place …

4 Likes

Who in Bristol doesn’t keep their car in a garage? Show me a house in Bristol that doesn’t have a two- or three-car garage.

Fair enough, then.

So instead of spikes which will adversely affect their part of the ecology, those rich folks could easily have used that money to pay someone to regularly wash the birdshit off their overpriced vehicles… but I guess that makes too much sense.

8 Likes

I can’t imagine how stupidly entitled one has to be in order to do such a thing in a country where birdwatching is such an appreciated activity.

3 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

If they really want to flout their wealth, they’d have a team of trained falconers patrolling the areas.

Hmm… now that I mentioned it, I want to make it a thing…

7 Likes

Presumably, those sections ARE large enough for car covers? :slight_smile:

You’d think with all that money spent on fancy cars the paint would be bird shit proof.

Here’s a good idea from the folks at Nissan:

Looks like the same kind of paint tech that some cities are spraying on walls to repel pee.

7 Likes

Mine. The garage is built to minimum requirements per the regs, which means it’s large enough for an Austin Seven. I could get my car in, if I removed the existing surround and fitted a roller-blind type door on the outside… but then I wouldn’t be able to get out of the car once I’d done so. Not ideal.

4 Likes

Carnauba wax is your friend.

2 Likes

True that.

4 Likes

I pity the first kid who tries climbing one of these trees, as well. You know it will happen - the dreaded Triple-Dog-Dare is still alive and well!

6 Likes

A car cover. There, i magically solved your problem.

1 Like

Granted, kind of a pain in the ass to put on and remove regularly. And if birds are shitting on it then the cover needs to be washed, but i think it’s a more common sense way of protecting your car than being an asshole and covering trees with spikes

9 Likes

For example, take Trump. Please!

3 Likes

Wow, with all the hating-on-the-rich going on, you’d think there was no where else the birds could possibly perch any more. If the infestation were bad enough, you’d see the trees being chopped down rather than modified.

Income disparity has lots of negative effects, and people are justifiably upset. But bird habitat loss is kind of a stretch, really! I think I’d rather save my outrage for things that actually make some kind of real difference to the not-so-rich.

2 Likes

Why don’t they just poison the birds?! Surely they can just poison some small birds who don’t understand the sanctity of rich people’s property?

I mean, they already tested the spike / pole method without success on the poor.

And were then forced to removed the poles.

Poor rich people. Yes these pictures are from Bristol.

13 Likes

I lived in Clifton for a couple of years. Truly great place to live. One of my favourite-ever places that I’ve lived. Didn’t own a fucking car, though. No place to put it, and anyway, why would you? Absolutely everything I needed was a short walk or bike ride away. That’s what made it a great place to live. And yes, I could see people doing this spike thing to protect their precious cars. Just like they simply double-parked along Caledonia where I lived because there were more cars than spots. I sensed a certain entitlement among some of my neighbours.

11 Likes