Rich people in Bristol install anti-bird spikes in trees to keep shit off their cars, rendering trees "literally uninhabitable" by local wildlife

You got lucky on that one.

Car holes make me laugh, as do those wine cellars.

It’s only a matter of time before we get the reports of severed hands and bisected pets.

Annnnnd we have a solution!

5 Likes

There’s no space for them to do that without knocking down someone elses house. There are a lot of cars parked on the streets in Clifton on Google Maps satellite view.

I’ll admit, I’m still far more excited by old commercial vehicles than new yuppie mobiles to this day.

2 Likes

I take it you do not live in the UK. Local councils here are so starved of funds they have many more important things to spend money on and councils here do not typically accept private donations for specific works (i.e. private works).

PS plus city streets in UK cities can often be 100+ years old and there is unlikely to any room for on-street car ports (not something I have ever seen in UK). If I could find the address of these trees I’d recommend a Street View tour so we could all see for ourselves.

1 Like

Let’s hope so.

Fair point on possibly not being able to fund it - but the ports I am talking about (sample I posted above) don’t really take up any extra room. I have even seen some where they are L shaped with support columns only at the front, so it isn’t like it requires any extra width.

At the very least, they are less ridiculous than spikes on trees and 100% doable.

In theory perhaps, but as I said, I suspect you do not live here. Never seen such a thing on-street and I can think of a myriad of planning and other objections (e.g. needing unfettered emergency vehicle access to any house in the street, where would taller vehicles park, e.g. delivery vans and lorries, and so and so on) in pretty much any site that might otherwise see some benefit. Off-street is a totally different game, of course but the problem here seems to be private trees over-hanging on-street parking, otherwise (i.e. if private trees overhanging private land used for parking) other solutions would have been found.

Out of desperation I’ve actually parked in places like that. If you’ve got a compatible wheel-base you can squeeze between the rows.

1 Like

Do your research and always get the best traction tires you can. Avoiding just a single accident pays for the difference instantly!

Like iPhones, a lot of modern cars are expensive but very bland and boring. OK they go fast, but try that on the M25 at 5p.m.
I forget where I saw it but I saw a quote something like this: that if you buy a new Audi or BMW, in 6 years it will start to get very expensive things wrong with it and in 12 years someone else will scrap it. If you buy a new Porsche - a Panamera, say - it will cost you money but in 30 years time it will be the pride and joy of an engineer somewhere.

1 Like

I took those spikes to be anti-camping, or even sitting down, out of the rain.

1 Like

I want one.

1 Like

If you’re parking under trees they could well be dropping sap, flowers, fruits etc anyway. They should consider investing in a cover. The trees were there first .

2 Likes

And if you buy a bus, twenty years later, a hippie will have somewhere to live :wink:

4 Likes

Oh wow, so I just saw this on Seanan McGuire’s blog, and it seems to go so much deeper than the inconvenience of parking under trees.

And now you can only leave your car anywhere in Bristol if you’re rich, or lucky.

So after changing the ENTIRE landscape and economy of a city in order to park in front of their own houses with no competition, the rich people then put pigeon spikes ON TREES to prevent the pigeons from shitting down onto their cars,

That is the socioeconomic context with which you should hate these pigeon spikes.

5 Likes

Here you go…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.