Right wing extremist Arizona congressman Paul Gosar released absurd "Attack on Titan"-themed anime video

Originally published at: Right wing extremist Arizona congressman Paul Gosar released absurd "Attack on Titan"-themed anime video | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Honestly it’s not that fall off from the source material and the creator’s ultra-nationalist views. A lot of people got sick of AoT troweling that ultra-nationalist line (just ask disgusted fans in South Korea).

But personally for me I stopped watching because edgelord Eren was getting on my nerves hahaha.

7 Likes

The politician so obnoxious that his own relatives appear in ads begging people not to vote for him

38 Likes

I think the thing that bothers me most (besides the obvious messaging) is that the new- and Q- GOP are spending so much time, money, and resources on bullshit like this, instead of the work they should be doing. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

25 Likes

Yes but this move has the hallmarks of ultra-nationalist dogwhistles, so don’t mistake this as being blind cringe for a second.

20 Likes

Gosar is a legend in his own mind.

13 Likes

Second verse, same as the first?

11 Likes

nah, this was probably made by some gosar qnut fan-boy and it reached his inbox. he did probably waste a lot of taxpayer-funded time watching it over and over and over again though. gosar is completely unhinged.

9 Likes

I have to wonder if he knows WTF this even is - or if he his staff is like, “Kids like anime, this will rope them in!”

Oh - the creator is ultra-nationalist? Yikes. Yeah, I know Japan has a problem with those movements.

6 Likes

Look like something taken from 4chan’s /pol/

5 Likes

I hope it’s all mistranslated.

1 Like

This is as bad as Ted Cruz quoting The Princess Bride and Star Wars on the Senate floor.

Guys, you’re not fooling anyone, and you will never be one of the Cool Kids.

6 Likes

They aren’t fooling us, but we aren’t the target audience. It’s the kids and young adults who watch far right videos on youtube and tiktok that they are dogwhistling to.

14 Likes

Jesus Christ, this meme is almost ten years old so of course some Republican is using it to be a dickhead on social media.

It’s an attempt, but the meme is insanely old and stale. It might as well be using minions to justify racism against immigrants at this point.

12 Likes

Hmm… a public figure posting representations of other political figures being physically harmed…

Wonder what Gozer’s (yes, intentional Ghostbusters reference, not a misspelling) take would be on a video posted by AOC or Biden with a figure that looked like him being cut up? Or maybe just a figure hanged or burned in effigy…

6 Likes

The same people who watch “Starship Troopers” and think the humans are the good guys.

14 Likes

Given what the work is they think they should be doing, I would very much like them to be doing a lot more of this nonsense, please.

8 Likes

That music sounds so familiar.

I look forward to the Secret Service having a looooooong talk with Gosar (whether Gosar wants to talk to them or not), going into excruciating detail about how much they dislike anything that looks like a threat against the President.

6 Likes

Usually when there’s a sci fi franchise featuring a bunch of armed, uniformed government types standing at attention like that we’re supposed to take it as a given that they’re the bad guys.

9 Likes