Right-wing Gen Z twerp Madison Cawthorn loses GOP primary, but still has 7 months left to make trouble

I welcome the next KKKpublican dirtbag that will take his place, kind’of…

3 Likes

It depends. Does your penis have the franchise?

7 Likes

He was obliterated. Those Jewish Space Lasers are brutal.

12 Likes

The guy who won the R primary ran as “A Trump Republican,” so there won’t be any improvement if he wins the general. And, presumably, he’s at least marginally competent, having been in the NC Senate for a few years. That might be worse.

All non-Nazis in the 11th will need to work really hard to get Jasmine Beach-Ferrara elected over Chuck Edwards.

6 Likes

Republicans of the 1990s: “That sort of perverse behavior is disgusting and unAmerican!”

Republicans of the 2020s: “Triggered libs are trying to cancel facefucking!”

6 Likes

It isn’t the sexism, racism, the general hate speech and stupidity, or the cousin face fucking. It is the fact that his cousin is a man. The party turned on him for talking about Cocaine Orgy Club and the voters turned on him because of homophobia.

5 Likes

Kink shaming isn’t cool but you’re supposed to ask before sharing them, buddy.

9 Likes

Aw, poor guy. I wonder what job he will move on to where the only qualification is being a giant douche canoe?

Oh, wait, something on Fox News.

6 Likes

I mean, Madison Cawthorn did nothing except embarass himself and his party. He oftentimes didn’t even show up to vote. He sure as heck hurt everyone around him. Now he’s going to be replaced by a Trump diehard who will help overturn the election in 2024 regardless of results. He’s likely to be replaced by someone who will vote, who will do their job, and will forward their agenda instead of an ass who doesn’t show up.

5 Likes

Fox News is an entire armada of douche canoes.

7 Likes

Yes, it is.

7 Likes

So, does this qualify as Critical Out-of-the-Race Theory?

6 Likes

I have family in his district. There’s been a huge influx of northerners moving into the area for a couple decades, and it contains several up-and coming down towny areas. Including Ashville which is famous as a LGBTQ vacation area, has a pretty big year round queer community, and is starting to get a lot of offices for like start ups and shit.

It is otherwise Trumpy as fuck around there, and a hell of a lot of retirement communities.

Just across the South Carolina border from there it’s quite similar. And my family there are in their 20’s and generally left wing. Ish.

But they and their friends don’t vote, and are pretty badly informed and disengaged. One was a very big fan of “real progressive” Tulsi Gabbard. They all think Cawthorne is a joke, but don’t see it as important one way or the other if he’s in office.

Most of the political organizing on the left there runs through the Black community, and there’s a certain baseline support from the geographic sorting that’s going on.

But you’d have to engage those completely checked out younger locals. They’re amenable they just have no clue what’s real anymore.

8 Likes

Quite. Generational names are the marketing and journalistic equivalent of making “cool, hip” neighborhood abbreviations by real estate agencies.

1 Like

You are assuming Republicans, who kowtow to Il Douche (who, rather than admit to a typo, introduced “cofeve” as an actual word) and trade in incredibly stupid conspiracy theories (JFK is alive and will lead them? Pedo camps on Mars?) like I used to do with baseball cards, are capable of embarrassment. I think that evidence of such sensitivity is currently lacking.

6 Likes

They’re capable of embarrassment when someone’s actions stop them from reaching their goals while also generally being an ass at their private events. Madison Cawthorn was one of those. They don’t mind the conspiracy theories if they get things DONE.

I’d love to see her win, but since NC is one of the most heavily gerrymandered states in the country, I’ll also be surprised.

…and you can bet your ass that the Republicans in the rest of the state keep a close eye on demographics and make sure to gerrymander the shit out of Ashville and other liberal areas to dilute the vote in their favor. The funny thing is, they need good census data to be able to figure that out, which they usually oppose collecting.

5 Likes

Remarkably, the current congressional map is not horrible, especially when compared to 2016. After 2017 is when the maps were redrawn, with the “almost surgical” gerrymandering of state house and senate districts – those got struck down. Asheville, as you note, is lumped in with a large swath of rural NC to nullify its blue-leaning votes. But the current, court-ordered map, and the map from the 2020 election are not all that bad:

Asheville is in Buncombe County (underlined green here) - this is the current map:
NC-11_2022

And this is from 2020:
NC-11_2020

2016 was just stupid, though, with Asheville split right down the middle into parts of two separate, rural districts:
NC-11_2016

The 2016 map also included these gems, splitting the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) in a way that only one Democrat would be elected for a population that probably would have elected two or three if districts were fair:
NC-1,2,4_2016
Chapel Hill is in Orange County, Raleigh is in Wake, Durham is self-explanatory. Washington County’s seat, Plymouth, is more than 130 miles from Durham and is a 2.5 hour drive!

9 Likes

What the fuck, is that part of the third district in an enclave? That’s just bizarre.

4 Likes