Right-wing group camped out on rooftop with stockpile of weapons at Portland rally, and police kept quiet

That ain’t enough.

12 Likes

23 Likes

24 Likes

I don’t know why everyone is so upset. We actually owe these people our gratitude. While they were camped out on the roof with their rifles and slim jims, was there any outbreaks of mob violence? Even one bear or mountain lion attack? How many super-criminals escaped from their prison transport buses in that area and went on a killing spree to take vengeance on the cop who put them away?

That’s what I thought.

We are in these patriots’ debt.

10 Likes

Add this to the news that white supremacists in Germany are affiliated with the police, ditto Golden Dawn in Greece and [insert your country here - in the case of mine the police have been ignoring European anti*terrorism police warning them that neo-nazis are operating here with no oversight while the coppers team up with their thug brothers from England to assault living home rights activists] and remember that first time round this happened:the coppers and army teamed up with the fascists against the people, the workers, and the others that focused their hates, Jews and queer etc.

17 Likes

Vicar: Good. Right. Now, then, what is the problem, Husband?

Husband: Well, Vicar, I’ve made enquiries with our shippers and the most sherry they can ship in any one load is 12,000 gallons.

Vicar: And how many glasses is that?

Husband: That’s roughly 540,000 glasses, Vicar.

Vicar: That’s excellent, Husband, excellent.

Husband: Yes, it means you can still keep your main sherry supply on the roof, but you can have an emergency supply underneath the vestry of 5,000 gallons.

Vicar: Yes, and I could have dry sherry on the roof and Amontillado in the underground tank!

Husband: Absolutely.

(The vicar signs a form that Husband hands to him.)

Vicar: Excellent work, Husband, excellent work.

Husband: Not at all, Vicar, you’re one of our best customers, you and the United States. Well goodbye. (he leaves)

3 Likes

I do not necessarily have a problem with how the police handled it, confiscating their weapons and returning them later.

I have a problem with the likely fact of other groups not receiving the same treatment in similar circumstances.

I also have a problem if this group was not added to an FBI terror watch list. (Unclear, but probably not reported to FBI)

3 Likes

Except she was hired out of Oakland.

1 Like

Roger that!

Yes. By the police.

9 Likes

I do have a huge problem because those people went out onto that roof with the sole intention of being able to snipe people from a distance should something happen that required violence. And protests often can get out of hand, so you do the math. It’s also far from the first time right wing groups have shown up with guns with this exact same pretense and received zero punishment for their pre-emptive escalation of violence.

26 Likes

Having read other reports, it seems like the Oregonian put a pretty clear spin on the story to draw clicks. It sounds like these were people coming to the rally who parked on the top level of a parking garage and were organizing to come down to the street to protest. They had guns, but they weren’t setting up sniper rifles or planning to use weapons from the roof. They happened to be up on the roof to meet.

That’s not to say that they should be bringing guns to a protest, as mentioned above, but it is a far cry from the headline that says they “camped out on rooftop” with “stockpile of weapons.” The reason the police didn’t arrest anyone was because they weren’t doing anything even remotely illegal. And the reason it wasn’t brought to the mayor for two months was because there was no incident to report. Yet the headlines make it sound like they were preparing for a shooting like the one in Vegas.

2 Likes

collective bargaining with law enforcement officers is a terrible idea

Four months after Clark took office, the police created a firestorm by fatally strangling private security guard Lloyd Stephenson. Two East Precinct officers sold T-shirts imprinted with, “Don’t choke ’em, smoke ’em,” suggesting that police should shoot suspects rather than attempt a less lethal means of control.

Clark found their actions deplorable, “so I fired them,” he said. “I thought I could fire people.”

The officers appealed, however, and were reinstated by an arbiter.

http://mentalhealthportland.org/cop-shop-beyond-fixing

8 Likes

you mean like the BLM V. the country plumpkins in 2014? Like this douchbag with an ak47 (edit; might be a cheap SKS with lots of accessories?) sighting the feds?

https://abact.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/blm-sniper-on-bundy.jpg

12 Likes

Yeah, it’d be a fucking dream to be able to hold cops to the same standards of decorum you hold, for instance, retail workers, or waitstaff. You know, since they’re supposed to be public servants and not fucking armed gangsters.

20 Likes

Tangential point: that’s not an AK-47. Or any kind of AK I’ve ever seen. Just a tangential note.

It’s certainly a civilianized assault rifle designed for war IE killing and maiming as many human targets as possible in as short an amount of time as the machinery will allow.

4 Likes

Why give white supremacists, a group KNOWN for committing acts of violence on the regular, the benefit of the doubt here?

25 Likes

In Portland, having literal Nazis on the police force is fine. TALKING about it is against the law.

To settle a legal claim, the city of Portland has agreed to pay $5,000 to Portland police Capt. Mark Kruger and erase two disciplinary actions from his personnel record: a suspension for his public tribute to five Nazi-era German soldiers at a city park and a reprimand for retaliating against a female lieutenant.

The steps are part of a negotiated settlement reached after Kruger, now in charge of the Drugs and Vice Division, filed a notice of his intent to sue the city in January 2013.

Kruger, through his attorney, argued that the city and the police bureau’s Director of Services Mike Kuykendall slandered him in a series of text messages. Kuykendall repeatedly referred to Kruger as a Nazi in an exchange of texts with Lt. Kristy Galvan.

http://oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/portland_police_capt_mark_krug.html

14 Likes

I wonder how many of these cops AKA pigs, had fathers who fought in WWII against Nazi’s?

3 Likes

Why bring guns to a protest? Yes they can carry them legally but to carry them en masse at a demonstration is less about exercising your right to voice your opinion and more about straight up intimidation. If the left did something like this at a demonstration do you think pro-gun right-leaning groups would encourage them to keep on doing so? I doubt it and history proves it

18 Likes