Right-wing militia groups have set up armed illegal checkpoints in Oregon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/right-wing-militia-groups-have.html

11 Likes

We [in the US] no longer live in a democracy.

40 Likes

Federal troops are on their way now to restore order, right? Can’t have “Cop Free Zones” being set up, now can we?

47 Likes

“Those who work forces are the same who burn crosses”

Two types of people actively pursue jobs in Law Enforcement - saints and assholes. There aren’t very many saints.

27 Likes

Leftists remember: right wing terrorists are already armed up and won’t hesitate to shoot anyone they feel is vulnerable. And the cops encourage it.

No cop will defend you, it’s time to make sure you can defend yourselves from right wing terrorism.

19 Likes

For the love of God, let it not come to this. Most leftists retain a conscience. Taking a human life does not come easily to such. Those right-wing militias already see us as subhuman and would have no such compunction.

31 Likes

I’d much rather not be forced into that situation either, but I’ll be damned if I just sit there and watch someone get executed by a right wing militia, and do nothing.

22 Likes

Oregon is all mail-in voting state right?

I’m wondering where these trucknuts are going to hang out in early November? Post offices? Ballot drop boxes?

13 Likes

They were Just Asking Questions.

14 Likes

attorney general barr is more concerned with prosecuting the mayor of seattle.

21 Likes

They DO already have no such compunction. The militias want to shoot us whether we have guns or not.

21 Likes

Agreed. My concern lies in my own training, namely, do not point a firearm at anything you do not want to destroy, and if you draw a firearm you better be ready to use it. I know myself well enough to know I would likely hesitate. That would be fatal. If it comes to this, we are in deep deep trouble.

27 Likes

Agreed on that front. The pandemic makes it hard but I’m planning on buying my first gun ever. Practice is going to be tricky to impossible with the pandemic, which is why I plan on having it locked up until I can do so, but if “civil war” is on the table for the near-ish future, which I’m terrified it might be, what I really don’t want is one side to have all the guns because they’re the ones who’ve been hoarding them for decades.

13 Likes

A citizen stopping another citizen and preventing them from leaving when they want to leave is kidnapping.

26 Likes

I was living in Lebanon when it disintegrated. This is exactly how it started-- each little “militia” set up its checkpoints. It was a way of showing the flag and denigrating what little central government remained.

32 Likes

It appears to me that the militias have badly misunderstood the events in Portland with regard to looting and believe that antifa activists are seeking to take advantage of the fires to loot abandoned properties. They are under the belief that BLM wants to steal their lladro figurines and yard toilets.

5 Likes

More Arseholes than Saints is an issue that needs addressing.

6 Likes

Someone is just not going to stop if you don’t have a badge. Better not stand in front of the vehicle.

12 Likes

eeesh, that’s sort of horrible but it also strikes a chord in my gut. I have never owned a firearm (have plenty of friends who do for hunting), but it was shortly after 2016 that I first entertained, however remotely, the idea of getting a gun for protection. I can actually imagine a radicalized neighbor losing it when they see our Biden yard sign.

5 Likes

There is a statistic floating around that I have never been able to verify, but it says that only 3% of individuals are able to kill without hesitation. This is the explanation given for the dehumanizing training the military puts recruits through. I have owned for years, have had training, and still am firmly in serious doubt of my ability to actually draw on a human being. I pray never to find out I am right.

19 Likes