Right-wing group camped out on rooftop with stockpile of weapons at Portland rally, and police kept quiet

This is incorrect. Most of the puke boys are from Vancouver. Oregon does not recognize out-of-state concealed carry permits, and at least some quantity of these guns were concealed.

PPB tweeted in real time any other object confiscated that could be considered a weapon. Why not tweet the objects confiscated that can only be considered a weapon?

Of course, I’ve been at some of these actions (although, not this one, for precisely this reason, which a friend and I had discussed at length on August 3rd.) I’ve seen how the cops interact with Joey and his gang of suspended-adolescence goons. To characterize the relationship charitably, they are very much friendly.

11 Likes

It isn’t nonsense. It is using the word “firearm” in the law. The open carry law applies to ALL firearms. NOT just handguns.

Legal Definitions in the Oregon code, including firearms, hand gun - Source:

If the exceptions for overriding the open carry law to permit holders applied ONLY to handguns, it would say that. But it doesn’t. It says being a permit holder is an exemption to any local laws.

But don’t take my word for it. The words of the Oregon Supreme Court Judge who was part of a decision to uphold the Portland law. Note they keep using the term firearm - which includes rifles, handguns and shot guns.

But Justice Baldwin wrote that the ordinance is not a total ban on carrying loaded firearms. Rather, it regulates “the manner of possession and use of firearms in public places.” In addition, there are 14 exceptions to the law, which allow those with concealed weapons permits, police officers and several other groups of people to carry a loaded firearm in public places.

In the specific Portland law you listed earlier, it lists “A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.” as being exempted from the law.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/citycode/article/332592

Here is an article from 2013 where two open carry proponents in Portland had rifles on their shoulders sparked calls to 911 and again, it wasn’t illegal:

The Portland Police Bureau would like to remind the public that the open carrying of firearms is legal in Oregon, and carrying a concealed firearm is legal with a valid CHL;

1 Like

I dunno. My point stands that simply having a firearm in public is allowed if you have an Oregon CHL.

Well, prove that and you got a scandal on your hands.

I’m not here to defend these assholes. My point is the original, abridged posting of a the local law didn’t tell the whole story about the legality of having a rifle in public in Portland. I believe I’ve proven that.

Thanks to those two assholes in Sellwood, everyone in Portland is quite aware you can walk around waving an unloaded gun all you’d like (well, if you’re white, and aren’t displaying visible signs of mental distress, otherwise the cops will kill the fuck out of you.)

Rose City Antifa already has.

11 Likes

Nothing in that last story states that the rifles were loaded.

Nothing in the story regarding the Supreme Court decision speaks to the applicability of the handgun exemption to long guns. Indeed - the conviction was for carrying loaded handguns. It doesn’t address the point at all.

Fun as this has been - I’m done with this discussion.

5 Likes

OK- one more time. Read the exemptions. It isn’t exempting handguns. It is exempting handgun permit holders.

Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

The law doesn’t apply to the PERSON. Which person? The person who has a license to carry a concealed handgun. Does it say it ONLY applies to handguns? No. The word it uses is “firearms”.

Are you jerking my chain or do you genuinely think this law doesn’t apply to ALL firearms.

jeremy christian

5 Likes

Turns out the prayerful patriots are also cowards. The popo come for teh gunz and they … just handed them over?

5 Likes

Because it was a gun rights rally.

See the rest of my comment

-1 For reading comprehension

8 Likes

Generally, Oregon doesn’t recognize out of state permits. Unless, of course, you’re white. The state of Oregon was explicitly chartered as a white suprrnacist stronghold.

Fuck Oregon, fuck these “patriots”.

1 Like

It is a common occurrence that people at gun rights rallies to carry firearms. It’s also usually completely legal and appropriate to do so. Don’t accuse me of poor reading comprehension when you stuck your foot in it all by yourself.

This group is NOT white supremacist; they are right-wing libertarian. Instigators, yes, but they have spoken out against white nationalists and the alt-right specifically.

They are anti-government, pro-free speech (yeah, that makes not a lot of sense) and pro-Trump. Not the brightest bulbs in the fixture, but not white nationalists either.

To confirm, this is true. The exemption is for the open carry is only valid for people with an Oregon CHL.

So is there still a crime being ignored? Maybe. You would have to figure out 1) Who was there, 2) Who was armed, 3) Confirmed that the people armed were both from the state and had the proper licenses.

It is completely within the realm of possibility that they were all legal. People from other states mixed in with the group but not armed wouldn’t be running afoul of anything. These people are idiots, not total morons. If you are going to push boundaries, one is going to make sure they won’t be touchable in a legal sense.

But if you are able to confirm X person(s) were armed and from out of state then you have a scandal on your hands that they were selective in enforcing the law.

So the Confederate cosplay was off-script?

image https://media.koin.com/nxs-kointv-media-us-east-1/photo/2018/08/04/Misc._Weapons_and_Projectiles_Seized_1533441194602_50739099_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

8 Likes

That’s so fucking wrong it hurts. Their fellow travelership with white supremacists, neo-nazi boneheads, and other fascist tools is well documented. I will repost the link. I get that the presence of tokens might throw some people off the scent, but cursory research clearly shows what these fuckheads are about. They are not libertarian, regardless of whatever rhetoric you may have encountered convincing you otherwise. Joey Gibson is a virulently homophobic christian fundamentalist. These shitheads literally walk around with “right-wing death squad” shirts. Tiny (brains) is fond of Pinochet. I can go on, but if you’re interested in intellectual honesty you should probably go looking yourself.

And in general, as a message to anyone that still finds some strange need to defend these fucks, do some goddamn homework and get your heads out of your asses. FFS. We already went through this with Milo “Can’t be a fascist cuz he’s gay and has a black husband Fascist Bootlicking Obscurantis” Yiannopoulos. Do we have to replay this game every time another one of these scumbags makes their 15 minutes and swears up and down, despite all evidence to the contrary, that they aren’t the fascists and actually the fascists are the anti-fascists? Because it is, to paraphrase the puke boy motto, a stupid game.

21 Likes

So how white nationalist do they have to get before you are allowed to stop believing what they say they are?

8 Likes

Charge the weapons with a crime, Civil Forfeiture style. I mean, you can’t be sure the people you’re handing the guns to are the legal, registered, owner, right?

4 Likes

it’s like the whole 'this is not a pipe thing", isn’t it?

just because the group is made up of entirely of white supremacists doesn’t make the group white supremacists, right?

i mean if they were all knitting scarves, we’d call it a knitting group. right?

here they’re just gathering with guns to intimidate people, to take back the public space their white might is right views. that’s obviously not a white supremacist rally, it’s… um… it’s a party! ( it’s a party, right? )

14 Likes

You do realise that these two things are mutually exclusive? Just about everything Trump has done has been extremely authoritarian. He isn’t even compatible with propertarians, his protectionism proves that.

Trumps repeated support of white supremacy (it seems to be intrinsic to his policies) also puts a huge dent in the claim that Patriot Prayer aren’t also white supremacists.

15 Likes