Right-wing group camped out on rooftop with stockpile of weapons at Portland rally, and police kept quiet

I never claimed Boing Boing was a news source. If you go back to my original post, I was pointing out that OregonLive - the website for the largest newspaper in my city - was being misleading.

On the link I gave, and the quote I pulled out, it specifically references “holders of concealed carry permits are exempt” from the local restrictions on open carry laws.

My feelings on the matter or comfort with armed “Prayer Patriots” is irrelevant when it comes to enforcing the law. If they were toeing the line, even if I disagree with what they were doing, I am not sure how one can justify further action.

We already have WWWAAAAAYYYYY too many examples of police abusing their authority with law breakers or people in the grey area of laws (i.e. getting stops with large amounts of cash). If they weren’t actually breaking the law, then I guess what they did was what they were supposed to do.

If there was some law they just allowed them to skirt, then sure, we should question their selective enforcement.

Except the fact that they brought weapons (like you said) which is in and of itself, you know illegal.
As others have pointed out, had they been any color other then white, we would be reading a story of the armed assailants shot dead with a stockpile of weapons, and how the brave police stopped a massacre before it could happen.

9 Likes

Long guns aren’t concealed.

3 Likes

I am not saying they are. I am saying the PERMIT gives more legal rights than JUST concealed carry.

28%20PM

2017 ORS 166.173¹

Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions).

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

( c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370 (Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility).

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

(f) An honorably retired law enforcement officer, unless the person who is a retired law enforcement officer has been convicted of an offense that would make the person ineligible to obtain a concealed handgun license under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing). [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3; 2015 c.709 §1]

2 Likes

The law specifically only apply to handguns.

“ 2017 ORS 166.291¹

Issuance of concealed handgun license”

2 Likes

That’s fair enough then. The second article clarified that it was 3 guns, in cases, and gives their stated reason for being on the roof (where they planned to remain) - extraction in case of injury of their group in the protest. So, the reasoning they gave to police doesn’t give me much comfort, however slanted Oregon Live might be.

6 Likes

They not only didn’t ever need the guns there, it undermined any pretension of a peaceful demonstration. You bring guns to a protest, your sole goal is to intimidate and threaten. They all belonged in the back of a paddy wagon and their guns confiscated.

8 Likes

And/or to kill and maim.

A firearm only has one purpose; to make holes in whatever it’s aimed at.

10 Likes

Yes, that law above pertains to handguns only.

2017 ORS 166.173 says “A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places”. So this is regulating ALL loaded guns - shotguns, rifles, handguns. Cities or counties can pass their own laws, as Portland did.

It then lists 6 exceptions that any law passed by a country or city don’t effect. The third exception is:

A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

So even though the PERMIT is for handguns only, OPEN CARRY of a LOADED FIREARM (any firearm: shotgun, rifle, handgun) is allowed because of it.

The police at Charlottesville were not “kept at bay” by Nazi weaponry.

They voluntarily stood aside, because:

24 Likes

Nonsense. The handgun exemption applies only to handguns.

This is like saying that an exemption for requiring instruments for ultra light pilots means they don’t need them in a 747. Or that this means they can carry loaded grenade launchers and machine guns if they have a concealed handgun permit.

5 Likes

That crap didn’t fly one year later in DC. Once it was clear the cops weren’t having any of that “armed protest” garbage, most of them didn’t bother to show up.

4 Likes

my skin is dark

this has been going on a looooooong time

2 Likes

All the way back to the 3/5ths Compromise.

3 Likes

Then why didn’t they inform the public and the mayor anyway? If nothing was wrong, then…

4 Likes

thanks for the film. light skinned humans developing in light skinned cultures seem to have difficulty empathizing.

Um… not all People of Color are automatically dark complected; but all of us are negatively impacted by racial prejudice and bigotry.

Just sayin’…

10 Likes

Oregon CC does not recognize out-of-state permits, and given the fact that the great majority of these shitbricks are from WA, they were very much breaking state law.

6 Likes