"Riki Tiki Tavi" by Donovan (1970)

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Audio content owned by Sony Music Entertainment. (But Iā€™m sure they have the artistā€™s interests at heart.)

Iā€™m still not sure why NFS:The Run thought this was the right song for their credits, but itā€™s probably my best memory from that game.

I love this songā€“thanks for posting itā€“but itā€™s way earlier than 1980.

Off the top of my head Iā€™m saying 1971, but let me look it up.

Yea, 1970.

2 Likes

Are you sure? Itā€™s got a fairly strong ā€œNew Waveā€ vibe.

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s 1970. The Open Road album as a whole is pretty good.

2 Likes

Everybody who read the Jungle Book knows that Riki tiki taviā€™s
a mongoose who kills snakes
When I was a young man I was led to believe there were organisations
to kill my snakes for me

ie - the church
ie - the government
ie - the school

But when I got a little older I learned I had to kill them myself

Words to live by.

5 Likes

Solid post-punk. I like it.

Thanks, typo. Edited the post title.

1 Like

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Donovan!

1 Like

Some of us who are old enough to remember buying this release the day it was issued back in the day will recall that the band that recorded the LP was called Open Road. The LP was supposed to have been the self titled debut of the band.

The big deal was that Donovan wanted to reinvent himself and move away from his image as a solo with hired guns and was trying to forge a more collaborative image for himself.

Oh yeah, the other thing is that some of us older folks can also remember hearing the so called ā€˜newā€™ music of the late 70s and early 80s and thinking that it had a distinctive 60s feel to it. You young whippersnappers didnā€™t actually invent that stuff yā€™knowā€¦

And hey, if you think Riki Tiki is ā€˜Punkā€™ or ā€˜New Waveā€™ try hunting down Open Roadā€™s ā€˜Poke At The Popeā€™ from the same LP.

1 Like

meh - try this rikki tikki tavi by fair to midland - get past the first minute - great band, sorely missed

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.