RIP Jack Chick, father of the Satanic Panic

This is an interesting perspective on his passing. I think as long as we understand the very real damaged he cause and not seek to underplay that, it’s all good. Or at least, not contributing to the problems of works like Chicks… if that makes any sense.

9 Likes

I just want his work preserved for both study and ridicule. Study because it helps give insight into what a mind will produce either out of ernist belief or through propagandic attempts at swaying opinion. Ridicule because to be blunt… its damaging bullshit.

6 Likes

Better watch it: the next logical step of that type of reasoning is to question whether the “bad guys” are as bad as we’ve been conditioned to believe they are, and whether they’re as different from us as we’d prefer to believe they are. And them’s fightin’ words in these parts: you might just find yourself dog-piled upon, ridiculed, or your words taken out of context and used against you. Hereabouts.

5 Likes

I don’t have so many issues compartmentalizing my feelings about him, it is a shame that he used his art to suggest that others be abused and for millions of Christians worldwide to live in hate and fear. I appreciate the kitsch factor and near-underground comics level of craft.

3 Likes

Yes, because disliking a person for hurting and abusing others is the same as hating a person for being born gay.

Using black or white thinking to attack black or white thinking is not going to change minds with false equivalency.

11 Likes

He had one official film adaptation (mine) available here; http://www.darkdungeonsthemovie.com/

2 Likes

Confirmed

2 Likes

one thing i haven’t seen discussed or mentioned is that thing that really puzzles me about Chick tracts: the financials. as a designer, i know how much even simple black and white printing costs not to mention cutting, collating, binding, and shipping, and there were JILLIONS of those tracts around, and i don’t even know how many different ones he did over the years. how did he pay for it all? did people send him money for stacks of them? and if so, that was enough to cover that big of an operation? seems so implausible. i’d love to see the books on the whole thing, and learn how it all worked.

happy he finally failed his saving throw, though. he caused a lot of misery in his time.

6 Likes

Oh, you know until you asked that, it never occurred to me that people might not realize it was a business. Churches bought those tracts. That’s what I was joking about above when I said I had always for the sake of sanity just imagined he took the money and bought booze with it.

The website is online, and the business is humming right along. I won’t link it because I don’t want to promote it, but it’s easy to find.

7 Likes

Sounds about right, based on the punks that I knew back in the day. There was probably at least one that could discuss physics with Einstein and one that could discuss literature with Mark Twain. And they tended to be pretty good-hearted, probably one of the reasons they didn’t fit in with the mainstream. Not all were like that of course, but misfits come from both sides of the average.

8 Likes

i fully knew it was a business. the thing is, to make it worthwhile, churches would’ve had to pay quite a lot for them. unless he was running it at a loss, and using it as a tax writeoff or something.

1 Like

Individual churches and members paid for the tracts.

They did pay for a lot of them. They are sold by the box, and meant to be distributed widely.

2 Likes

I can’t fault you there, but I don’t understand any of this outright hatred of him. I know nothing about him as a person, except for the infamous Chick Tracts he produced. I doubt anyone else here did either. His death affects me not at all, but saying his death leaves the world a brighter place sounds a little not okay to me.

3 Likes

I dunno, not really any different than, say, buying brochures, is it? When I was young I remember my Sunday school class ordering them, and I don’t recall them being all that expensive. I would imagine with the millions they sold, they were pretty competitive on costs.

“Outright hatred” is your opinion. The less hatemongers who encourage others to abuse gays, racial groups, and persons with other religions, the better off the world is.

I don’t hate or pity him, I just recognize that we need less of him in the world, less A Wyatt Mann, etc.

Why pretend that these people were net positive versus appreciating sincere and good persons who not only had the right ideas, but actually did good works? Seems like a waste of headspace.

2 Likes

All I’m saying is that I have no idea who this person was beyond Chick Tracts, so I have no feelings whatsoever about his death. That means what it means. Actively celebrating his passing just seems indecent to me, and I can’t do it.

BTW lumping people’s entire lives into “net positive” and “net negative” is skating close to eugenics territory.

1 Like

What I’m saying is that I literally don’t understand it. I mean exactly what I say.

If you don’t want to explain it to me, that’s fine, you are under no obligation. If you can’t explain it without keeping it civil, all the better. I’ve had a shitty week and I don’t need this right now.

1 Like

That could’ve been any given weekend, at any number of places in Dallas, but I think that happened after the owner of Theater Gallery (and Prophet Bar) became born-again. He had booked The Exploited, and rather than cancelling the show (and losing the money) he invited a bunch of people to proselytize at the club.

I remember being confronted outside of Record Gallery; we had answered all of their basic questions with “yes” which confused one guy and he became more hectoring with us (in a strict technical sense, he was a stranger yelling at some kids). OTOH I got confronted out there another time, we were all wearing black and some drunk asshole stopped us and asked “are y’all Catholic priests?”

3 Likes

Politely, when people make jokes about dancing on a person’s grave, they’re generally referring to the person’s life work (representationally), not the literal body. They are glad that the person cannot malign or harm another, or be the conduit to incite others to harm.

If you do not understand why persons disliked him, reading more of his tracts will give a more accurate picture.

If you want a great Happy Mutant-friendly doc, definitely check out God’s Cartoonist.

5 Likes