RIP Jack Chick, father of the Satanic Panic

I dont think it was Theater Gallery, it was that other place in a multi story building down the street, the one with a parking lot next door and another one behind. Charlies? Liberty Hall?

Woulda been more funny if they’d tried that sorta stuff in front of BIll’s!

2 Likes

Those were slightly before my time… (The original) Club Clearview was in a building like that, but not so much to do with punk.

Was early mid 80s. I moved to Austin in 86 so maybe winter of 84/85?

What I remember is it changed names several times but there was a show almost every weekend. Closed for good at one point and then there was only Theater Gallery. That was where I saw Hüsker Du. I was small enough that I could sneak in through a window to get in.

1 Like

Out of context but I couldn’t resist the thought :grinning:

4 Likes

I know his work but know nothing about him as a person. I have never even seen a picture of him. That probably has a lot to do with it. This is an unknown person, not just an unknown to me person. His body of work is public, but he himself never was. If he was a public figure, I’d probably be able to relate a little better.

Yeah, I didn’t get my driver’s license until the summer of '86. Liberty Hall became Circle A Ranch. I knew about the place, and had some older friends that went there, but I’m pretty sure it had closed for good before I was able to visit.

There was actually a nice little scene in Ft. Worth at the very end of the decade, and into the mid-90s. Most of the kids knew each other from high school, but it had a completely different vibe from Dallas, where we’d sometimes get “do you go to Arts Magnet? Oh… you’re from the suburbs.”

1 Like

Thanks! I couldnt for the life of me remember that but now it comes back to me!

1 Like

it’s a bit different. a quick random sampling of the ones i have seem to show that they were typically 12 sides/pages (6 sheets including the cover), and the cover was a slightly heavier stock (e.g. a separate print run from the interior pages), in addition to the covers being 2-color. it’s also a custom size, and staple bound. it all adds up to being a custom job, and it’s not like he had the option of printing in four color overseas cheaply back then like we do now. even at a volume discount on the cheapest stock he could get, it just seems to me that the per-piece cost of these had to be pretty high.

[quote=“LDoBe, post:74, topic:88056”]And there’s a new guard too, like James David Manning, Gordon Klingenschmitt and Bryan Fischer.
[/quote]
I’m sorry I missed this earlier. I wanted to add Tony Perkins to the list. Of the group he’s the only one I know who’s regularly invited on to news programs as an “expert” in spite of his organization being listed as a hate group by the SPLC.

MSNBC did eventually drop him as a guest. Offhand I don’t know whether CNN has but Fox News still pays for his opinions.

4 Likes

Well, their website has pricing. Looks like 17 cents each.

I believe some of that was covered in God’s Cartoonist, he had no public presence due to believing that he would be assassinated by agents of Satan, or similar.

2 Likes

I recall a few times finding that enterprising faithful would photocopy the tracts to avoid giving him a cut.

3 Likes

The new guard are equally as crazy as the old guard, and in the same ways.

I laugh at all of them, and can’t imagine anyone taking them seriously, but apparently some people do :confused:

2 Likes

Modifying Chick tracts with the help of white-out and a fine-point pen was a favorite pass-time at my campus SF club.

Someone in the club wrote away for Chick’s “what next?” book. A primer for people converted by his comics. A digest-sized paperback, illustrated by Chick, with advice on selecting the right edition of the Bible, the right church to go to, how to evangelize, etcetera. It wasn’t as batshit insane as you’d think . . . practically breezy compared to the heavy shit in the little comic books.

Addendum: One illustration stuck with me. It accompanied advice on how to plant Chick Tracts. It shows a slightly dumpy, dowdily dressed, older woman dropping a tract into a newspaper vending box. She doesn’t look fired up, happy, or inspired.

9 Likes

On every site I read that has a large percentage of U.S. Christians or formerly-raised-as, Chick Tracts come up repeatedly as being one of the most potent markers of the hatred, fear, and bigotry that people had to live through before either leaving religion entirely or finding an alternate religious path as far away as possible from the mindset encapsulated by the tracts. These are the stuff of nightmares – literally as well as figuratively – to people who grew up around them.

9 Likes

I can understand hating the things he did, but I can’t see hating him as a person.

Maybe this is due to him not having a public persona for me to hate.

I’m sure we’d all like to hear ten-year-old kids singing a catchy tune about how getting along with other faiths is a bad idea:

1 Like

Is it OK that I hope that his neighbours in Heaven are Pete Burns and Tom Hayden? That the end to his potential suffering would be his redemption, which is in his own hands? That there is a Heaven that people who are as different as Pete Burns and Jack Chick are, will be welcome in?

I don’t actually believe there is a Heaven or Hell.

7 Likes

Why do you keep ascribing “hate” to either?

I wish he wouldn’t have made the choices he made and feel he was a garbage human for proudly making them.

Perhaps your confusion comes from thinking things that persons are not doing?

1 Like

Go back to the beginning and listen to The Monkey Song. It’s equally precious.

I prefer this monkey song: