RIP Juicero, the machine that squeezed juice from packets of juice

Does give me a bit more comfort that Kleiner decided not to fund me at the same time they funded this nonsense and I’m still at it.

1 Like

wouldn’t it make more sense to buy a yacht?

The coolest invention in 2016, said GOOP. That alone probably killed it.

That scratches a different kind of itch.

Assuming we’re still talking a super yacht. Luxury boat over 120ft. No. Those things can cost upwards of $25,000 an hour to run in crew and fuel costs (though sailing yachts would be cheaper).

Its really something only the very richest can legitimately afford, in the sense of it not effecting their finances. From what I understand most non-Bill Gates level owners of those thing basically operate them as businesses. The boat is not owned by a person. It is owned by Happy Time Cruise LLC. Then they rent them out to less rich (or less foolish rich) folks and businesses. Often just dock side (cause it keeps fuel costs to nil). Apparently a lot of the bookings come from corporate parties and TV shoots. The slim profit is usually just enough to cover the expense of running the ship while you actually use it. The more you use it, the more (and more expensive) bookings you need to make it feasible.

So buying a Yacht probably makes as much sense economically as buying the entire Juicero company. Its almost a guaranteed loser unless you can con some one less well off into paying for it.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, sir, we are not going to honor our warranty. It looks like your unit has been abused.

So they’re suspending sales and will therefore have no revenue. Issuing refunds, so their assets will be drawn down. They’ve admitted that they can’t even manufacture and distribute one thing, so they have no business capability. And they’ve basically announced to the world that their product is worthless, so they have no brand value. Yet somehow they expect to find an acquirer? To acquire what? Tax loss carryovers?

2 Likes

IP presumably? Patents and designs. That’s typically the real product/value in start ups and venture capital BS. But given this is supposedly assembled from off the shelf parts. And all it does is squeeze bags I can’t imagine there’s much there. I’m gonna go with face saving corporate new speak.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the mockery and embarrassment the [naive, stupid, adrenalised and hapless hopeless] investors have undergone was enough to desiccate any non-customer financial inputs to the ridiculous firm.

I wonder how much the CEO has managed to scrape of the invested cash. In a way I hope he has - never give a sucker an even break, and the Silicon Valley twerps that went for this without due-diligencing something that patently desperately needed looking under the hood, well they deserve career-strangling stringing up.

Tulips. Again, and again. Some people never learn.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Here’s a teardown of a Juicero:

Insane device but pretty nice components if you think of an use for them.

2 Likes

Kyle McLachlan, I am disappoint.

1 Like

“Juicero” is a bad name.

They should have called it “the Juice Goose”

1 Like

I think this is very different from a rich people product. Really rich people have a maid or cook to prepare fresh juice every day.

This is a product for the fake it till ya make it, wanna look rich segment, very very different.

1 Like

I was fishing with some friends and we got to arguing about what counts as a Yacht. We ended up finding a guide on a yachting club site, which talks about it in very subjective terms. “If your boat is at least X feet you have a good chance of your boat being considered a Yacht”, etc. A chance! What is this, boat roulette??

Very amusing reading, thinking someone night go through a few boats before they are deemed to be a Yacht owner. We also speculated that with such wording people of different, shall we say, backgrounds themselves bring varying levels of " yachtness" to a boat.

Essentially, your boat must have a certain panache. It’s sort of like the difference between “old money” (yachts) and the nouveau riche (a gussied up tugboat).

Technically all sail boats used for leisure purposes are yachts. Its entirely American convention to reserve it for fancy or very large boats. Shit I was taught to sail at a Yacht Club where the only “yachts” were these:

Its only motor boats where there’s really a size cut off.

4 Likes

might have been interesting if he compared efficiency of the hand squeezed packet with the juicero packet. Though this would have required getting two packets of the same type and “caring about such things”.

The overengineered part stems from a reluctance to use rollers. Are there disadvantages to using rollers? Is the bag more likely to explode if certain methods are used?

Isn’t a yacht a boat with a very deep keep meant for sailing very quickly whilst close-hauled?

Sort of. Originally it refered to small, very fast ships used to hunt pirates smugglers and the like. Often sloops. So in a lot of contexts, certain countries, and for big chunks of the past. “Yacht” is the catchall for small to medium sized racing sailers and yachting is/was the proper term for sailboat racing.

That’s the origin of the yacht clubs near me. Sail racing is huge here. Has been for a very long time. The yacht clubs in the area are not the ritzy private clubs I’ve seen elsewhere. Country clubs with water access. They’re small ramshackle public organizations focused on teaching sailing and engaging in sail boat racing. That crowd still refers to the sport as yachting, Yacht is a term for a specific size class of boat and/or hull and sail plan combo. And we call all those people “yachties”.

If I remember from the last go round on this. It’s not so much a reluctance to use rollers. The juicero was pitched as a cold pressed juice machine. Cold pressed juice being the hot health food trend ATM. And like any health fad it has weird pointless requirements. Apparently unless it’s crushed by a linear style press it doesn’t qualify. And there are weirdly specific requirements vis a vis the level of force required. So the format of this thing, and the over engineering are more about plausibly qualifying as “real” cold pressed juice. Supposedly rollers are disqualifying, as would be using just enough force to squeeze the bag.

And I think the Bloomberg expose directly compared hand squeezed to machine squeezed bags. Nearly the same volume of juice.

3 Likes